Use MBP as external display for iBook?

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
914
0
SF Bay Area, CA
I have a 600Mhz G3 iBook which has a majorly cracked LCD and a 15.4" 1.83Ghz MacBook Pro. Is there any way for me to use the MacBook Pro as a KVM-type setup with the iBook so I can use the display (and the keyboard and mouse if possible) of the MacBook Pro for use with the iBook?

I hope that makes sense...
 

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
914
0
SF Bay Area, CA
That, and just to see if I can. I might want to use it sometime to boot OS 9 or whatever, and I don't want to have to use an external display because I need portability in life.
 

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
asherman13 said:
I have a 600Mhz G3 iBook which has a majorly cracked LCD and a 15.4" 1.83Ghz MacBook Pro. Is there any way for me to use the MacBook Pro as a KVM-type setup with the iBook so I can use the display (and the keyboard and mouse if possible) of the MacBook Pro for use with the iBook?

I hope that makes sense...
wow, your insane, in crazy creative kinda good way though...:rolleyes:
I would say no way in hell is that possible without destroying both of the laptops. can you post pics of the g3?
 

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
edit: sorry this post was a mistake. There's a battle going on in my head weather this is possible. (Thxs alot...:rolleyes: )
just a note though its impossible to run os9 on a intelmac.
 

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
914
0
SF Bay Area, CA
Rokem said:
hold on i just had a crazy idea. does the g3 have firewire?
Yes...

Why post pics? It's a stock MBP and an iBook in decent condition except for the fact that the LCD (not the glass) is cracked.
 

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
when you said majorly cracked i thought something horrible happened to it. Like someone steped on my gym teachers laptop :eek: it was a sight
ps notice my edit
if your ambitious replace the screen, if your rich buy an old ibook off ebay for os9, if you dont mind losing os9 chuck the ibook in a trash can, or the Golden Gate Bridge (into a trash bardge of course, we wouldn't want to litter), If you think its pretty you could also frame it. just a few choices
 

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
131
0
Missouri
Definitely not possible. Although you could set up a remote desktop connection on the iBook and get a virtual desktop of it on the MBP over a network.
 

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
914
0
SF Bay Area, CA
Rokem said:
edit: sorry this post was a mistake. There's a battle going on in my head weather this is possible. (Thxs alot...:rolleyes: )
just a note though its impossible to run os9 on a intelmac.
Thanks for the "notice". :)
Nate4747 said:
Definitely not possible.
In a basic sense, I would just use my MBP display to view what would be coming out of my iBook's VGA port, nothing else.
 

Nate4747

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
131
0
Missouri
asherman13 said:
Thanks for the "notice". :)In a basic sense, I would just use my MBP display to view what would be coming out of my iBook's VGA port, nothing else.
I understand what you're trying to do, but it just can't be done unless you want to mutilate both computers. You should try to set up a VNC connection like I said previously. You would just have to connect the iBook to an external monitor once and set it up, then you could connect to it remotely with the MacBook and use it as if it were right in front of you.
 

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
2,360
0
Hoosiertown
if you always had an internet connection you could set up a vnc and a vpn server on the ibook and leave it at home running in a closet all the time. The vnc into the ibook if your on your network. when away vpn into your network then vnc. and you wouldn't even have to carry the ibook.
 

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
6,166
350
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Rokem said:
if you always had an internet connection you could set up a vnc and a vpn server on the ibook and leave it at home running in a closet all the time. The vnc into the ibook if your on your network. when away vpn into your network then vnc. and you wouldn't even have to carry the ibook.
This would be the uber-geek solution to running OS9 on an Intel Mac.

But keep in mind that, thanks to the wonders of emulation and the Sheep Shaver project, it is *sort of* possible to run Classic on an Intel Mac. Not well, but functionally if you can get it working (which, admittedly, I haven't yet tried since I haven't worked up the initiative to dig up a working ROM file off my desktop's Classic install). So there are other options, and it'll probably get easier once the Intel Mac end of the project has matured somewhat.