Use MBP for Windows 7 or sell?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by redshovel, Oct 19, 2009.

1. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Been a long time windows user and now owned my MBP now for around 4 months. Hardware wise I have found it to be outstanding! Build quality, battery life etc are brilliant. I choose to ‘switch’ mainly because of these and of course, Vista, that really just annoyed the hell out of me.
    I had to keep a part of my windows life alive via Parallels to run an accountancy program for my business. I choose to do this using Windows 7 RC.
    The thing is, even though I like Snow Leopard and have adapted most of my computer usage to it, each time I load up Windows 7 to run my accountancy program for work, I end up using Windows 7 to do everything in that session. Web, email, word etc. I honestly think I like Windows 7 more than Snow Leopard. Which leaves me unsure of my next move.

I know I could just install Windows 7 on bootcamp and run that full time….but somehow I think even that is making life more complex than it should be. there still appears to be driver issues with trackpad and isight etc. Or should I just stick with snow Leopard and be happy that it all works and just dive beween it and windows?
    The only thing at the minute really stopping me selling my MPB and ordering a windows machine is the simple fact that I love the look and feel of the MBP and that is hasn’t give me any problems to date. Just feels wrong to me having a Mac purely to run Windows.

Any views ppl?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you find that you're running Windows 7 more than OS X and you're comfortable in Windows I would sell the MacBook Pro and buy a cheaper laptop to save/get back money. No point of really using a MacBook Pro which isn't "optimized" due to lack of drivers to run Windows 7.

3. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Ditto the sale of the MBP and transition back to Win7.

You obviously realized your hardware needs should be based on the best available software for your business. The hardware and OS is always secondary when your livelihood depends on it.

4. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Provided you can find a nice PC laptop for less of equal the resell value of your MacBook Pro then I would go down that route as the other posters have suggested. You don't want to lose money.

The reason is that the drivers aren't so great for Windows – for example battery life is not as good and the trackpad doesn't work as well. It's fine for occasional use, but full time use? Ultimately it's your decision though.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

A Mac isn't less Macintosh..y..just because it has Windows on it. When the machine is off the choice of OS doens't really matter :D. Still, you've said you like the build quality and havn't had any problems to date, so it seems like you've already made your decision. People will try to sway you by saying that you've "paid for the opportunity to use OS X via the 'apple tax'" but that is just something we tell ourselves to make it seem like we didn't actually spend that much money (be honest guys), but none are able to show me a comparable manufacturer with similar build quality or support (I.e. walk into a store and get it fixed). If you want to use a different OS on it then let no one stop you, though it kinda is like driving a Cadillac SUV only to get groceries and pick up the kids.

6. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo

I agree with the sale, honestly, the main reason to own an mac is for mac os. Otherwise you'd get alot more for your money and it will be windows optimized. I was just looking at an hp 15inch with core i7 for about 799$

7. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I pretty much agree with everyone else about just going with a regular PC, but just to throw out another option... what about going with a virtualization program like Parallels or Fusion? You're still in OSX, but you can run your Windows apps side by side.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That would be a good suggestion but the OP found that he still would use Windows 7 more than OS X. So OS X doesn't really do anything for him but is more happy about the design and build quality.

9. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yep, despite my signature, I agree with everyone else, get rid of the Macbook and buy a common W7 PC, it will better suit you.

10. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

My thought was that maybe it's as simple as restarting is a bitch. 3+ years on, I'm all switched over, but if I ever hit up my Boot Camp partition for some reason and don't need to switch back, I'd rather stick around my Win7 partition and just work on stuff over there too.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm with you. I have Windows XP through Fusion and Windows 7 through Boot Camp. For me I needed a computer than can handle anything I need it to and with the current setup, I have just that. With OP, it seems like he was doubting himself with the purchase and the result was that sure, it's a beautiful and more than capable computer but do I really need when I potentially get another computer for cheaper yet still do what I need it to do.

12. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

if your worried about build quality there are plenty comparable PCs to choose from. Other than that all of this seems non issue. You use win frequently and stay there, so buy pc, might as well enjoy blu-ray and hdmi ports and all the other pc goodies

13. MacHiavelli macrumors 6502a

MacHiavelli

I'd stick with the MBP.

Why go through the hassle of selling and buying .... that takes time and time is money ... when you may end up with cheaper but inferior hardware.

At the very least, I'd advise waiting 6 months to see if Win 7 really is any good or not.

I run both Win and Mac machines. The Macs are MUCH cheaper in terms of total cost of ownership because they keep on working so reliably and don't have very much down time.

If money and sanity are important, keep the Mac.

If you have cash and time to throw away and like being part of the MS challenge-frustration game .... .... .... ....

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Sell the MBP and buy a decent PC laptop... common sense really ;)

15. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I Apple had better Boot Camp drivers I'd say definitely keep it. Unless you want to do some iPhone development you're better off getting something optimized for Windows. Dell has a new Adamo coming out that looks pretty sweet although it's more of a Air replacement than for a MBP. If Apple would just fix the touchpad problems I'd change my recommendation in a heartbeat.

16. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

2+
    You don't need a Ferrari to drive to the grocery store, either. You could sell it and get a good laptop, and have plenty of cash to spare. But, then I am practical and prefer function over form (I'm a Mac because of the OS, not the sexy hardware).

17. redshovel thread starter macrumors 6502

redshovel

Thanks for all the replies.
    Most seem to recommend changing to a PC laptop. Surprised that not more tired to keep me in the 'mac fold'
    So going price up a new Windows Laptop and see what price I can get for my MBP and take it from there.

18. kgallag1 macrumors member

Macbook pro and Windows 7

I have been running Windows 7 on my Macbook pro for several months now, from the beta release right through to the RTM. I can honestly say it works just fine for me. The touchpad isn't the most amazing, it's true, but it's still perfectly workable, especially with the Snow Leopard drivers, and the machine is perfectly responsive.

You do generally have to deal with the dual booting issue, but you can set Bootcamp in Windows to automatically boot to windows so you don't have to see the Mac OS. You might lose 20 gigs or so to maintain the Mac OS but that's it.

If you want to recoup some of the money you spent and get a decent laptop, you can do that too, but I honestly see very little in the way of problems with the Macbook Pro under windows. You might lose 1 hour to 1.5 hours (depending on applications) or so of battery life if running the 9400m/9600m hybrid video macbook pro, but that's it.

19. crazylegsmurphy macrumors 6502

You should always use the tools that work best for you.

With that said. Can you not use the OS X disk to boot into a clean hard drive, partition it and then install Windows on the largest portion? I am sure there is a way to make it so your OS X partition takes up the least amount of room possible if not totally gone.