Use MBP to play Xbox360?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jg216, Jun 24, 2012.

1. jg216 macrumors newbie

Can I use my MacBook as a display for my Xbox? If so, what wires do I need? How will it look?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, its not really possible unless you start dis-assembling the MBP, and possibly soldering wires who knows where

3. Inopia-Vi macrumors regular

Not really. If you can make the target mode work, you might have a chance. Howerver, if you don't have much knowledge in computer/software engeering, you'll have a bad time...

GL

4. satchow macrumors 6502

5. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You can use an EyeTV. It's a box that plugs into your MacBook via USB and has a component input on the other end. Run the EyeTV application, choose the AV input and off you go.

Several reviews say there's little to no lag.

6. jg216 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which eyetv product do I need? Link please

7. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

You'll want the EyeTV Hybrid. This model lacks the encoding hardware (which causes a slight delay in video being displayed) in other EyeTV products.

This will work if you're only looking to play though. If you want to record, you'll need to look for another solution, because activating the in-app record function enables the software compression, meaning there will be a few seconds' lag.
    Uncompressed recording works but the files it generates will be enormous. Think 50MB (megabytes, not bits) per second of video recording.

8. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

EyeTV has a second or two lag. I use EyeTV with a HD-PVR for capturing Gameplay footage on my Mac but it would be unplayable looking at my Mac screen.

9. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

The analog input of the EyeTV Hybrid has a delay of only a few milliseconds, allowing for excellent live gameplay.

http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=1063

On other EyeTV devices there's a hardware encoder which slightly delays the display of video, which is why only the Hybrid would work.

10. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Oh did not know that. I was reading up on the BlackMagic Thunderbolt HDMI capture devices and I wonder if there is any delay on them as well. Would love to capture HDMI instead of Component.

11. jg216 thread starter macrumors newbie

My situation is that I'll be in college in the fall. A close group of friends from home always do online leagues and halo 4 is coming out so I'd like to have my own xbox for my spare time. I wouldn't mind playing on the MacBook. I don't need to record anything, just play. So will the eyetv hybrid allow me to play on the MacBook screen? And I've yet to choose a MacBook air or pro, does that matter?

12. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Yes.

Performance wise, no.

Just a heads-up: do not expect HD or anything as the input maxes out at 480p (a limitation of composite output).