use MBP with charger only?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Docbml, May 20, 2012.

1. Docbml macrumors newbie

I am going to college in August and am going to buy a MBP 15. Just wanted to know if running the computer while plugged in for long periods of time is bad for the computer? Is it better to just use the batter and recharge? Most of the time this computer will be more like a desktop and not moved a ton. Can it just be plugged in and used?

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

No, it's fine.

Just unplug it once every week and use up the battery.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

:rolleyes: You can use your computer however you want. Worrying about your battery is pointless and in the end all batteries die.

4. goRoostr macrumors member

Here's Apple recommendations:

Standard Maintenance

For proper maintenance of a lithium-based battery, it’s important to keep the electrons in it moving occasionally. Apple does not recommend leaving your portable plugged in all the time. An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her notebook on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge. This keeps the battery juices flowing. If on the other hand, you use a desktop computer at work, and save a notebook for infrequent travel, Apple recommends charging and discharging its battery at least once per month. Need a reminder? Add an event to your desktop’s iCal. When your battery no longer holds sufficient charge to meet your needs, you may choose to replace it. If your notebook came with a built-in battery, you should have the battery replaced only by an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

5. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

I'm in the practice of cycling our MBP batteries once per month. Our original 2008 MBPn (MacBookPro4,1) stayed plugged in most of the time and the battery got to the point of lasting about 10-15 minutes. I swapped the battery a few months ago, and cycling it on a somewhat regular basis has proven to be a good thing.

My $0.02 worth.

6. DimensionDude macrumors newbie

My MBP sits on the desk plugged in most of the time. I will unplug it every so often and discharge the battery just to keep it healthy.

Judging from screenshot below, I'd say roughly about every week and a half.

I think that 97% battery health after 17 months is pretty good.

Attached Files:

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

8. WRP macrumors 6502a

My story.

I have a 4 year old MBP. I keep it plugged in about 95% of the time (I know this is wrong to do but I don't care). I was having problems with it not charging after a few years. I went to the apple store and explained my situation. The genius knowing the age of the computer still ran the battery through the diagnostics. They are rated for at least a certain number of cycles. Even though my battery was out of warranty, it started dying due to my misuse. They replaced it for free because it was under the acceptable level of cycle life for the battery. Not saying this will definitely work for you, but it helped me out.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It's not quite true, battery tech has definitely improved since I fried my Rev 1.1 battery, but you should try and use the battery at least once a month and unplug in when not in use or actively charging.