Use mic input as second audio output ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tex-Twil, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hello,
    is that possible on a unibody MBP ? I would like to be able to use two sets of headphones for example.

Thanks,
    Tex

2. Akzel macrumors regular

It would be extremely interesting for aspiring DJs too. :)

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No, it isn't, without pulling apart the MBP and rewiring the jack to the other one. Cheap and cheerful way is to use a headphone signal splitter. Next up, a headphone amp with multiple outputs. Not so cheap way is to get a soundcard for the ExpressCard/34 slot.

Same signals to both sets of headphones or completely different signals, as in two controllable discrete stereo pairs?

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

That's what I wanted to buy today but I frogot and I'm driving tomorrow in a train with someone else so it would be handy to watch a movie :) But now it's too late ...

6. lscangus macrumors 6502

You may be able to re route it under windows with asio drivers. But not sure

7. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

No, you cannot take what is physically an input and turn it into an output through drivers. On the other end of that input, you've got a small input preamp etc.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

You could purchase a griffin imic for under $20

9. lscangus macrumors 6502

Are you sure, coz the the ASIO drivers are a little bit different.

10. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

ASIO drivers are used as a direct connection between software and audio hardware to achieve low latency for plug-ins and the like in Windows. It is not a magic device which can turn inputs into outputs.

I am almost 100% positive that what you're suggesting is physically impossible. An input is an input, unless it is designed to function as both an input and an output and switch between two different sets of electronics.

11. lscangus macrumors 6502

ya you are right. The re-route cannot change input to output.

12. allenvsantiago macrumors newbie

Input to output conversion

I really doubt that answer... because my GA-G41-ES2L is capable of converting all inputs to output so i can have a 5.1 or even 7.1 surround sound... it is included in bundled software for motherboard... I was able to use this when i was using windows XP on my PC (last 2009)... and now I am using hackintosh (2010 up to now) and I've installed MAC OS 7.2 (hackintosh) iAtkos L2 lately... and I am trying to find if there's an available crack for this same thing to happen...

If in windows it is possible... why not in MAC... they're better, right?

Hardware:
    GA-G41-ES2L v1 f6
    2GB RAM
    Nvidia 8400 GS

iAtkos L2 - all hardware part works ( Video, audio, LAN except for surround only stereo):):):)

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Is your GA-G41-ES2L a Mac? If not, then why are you basing your answer on completely different hardware? And why are you commenting on a thread almost 3 years old?

Your device is wired at the hardware level to do this. Macs are not. There's absolutely NOTHING software can do about it.