Use Monolingual on your air it will save space

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by newdeal, Aug 4, 2011.

1. newdeal macrumors 68020

I read something someone posted previously saying that lion didn't have all the languages and print drivers to save space. If that is true with the download version I don't know but it definitely isn't true on the macbook air version because I just ran monolingual and deleted 1.7gigabytes of un-needed language files. Seemed like a pretty good savings to me

2. jxh4400 macrumors newbie

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

4. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

absolutely..I remember doing that on my Blackberry 9650 to save space, haha..great to point out to newer users with smaller HDDs where that'll make a difference.

5. h00ligan, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

h00ligan macrumors 68030

on an all but virgin install of the 13" - slimmer saves 450mb with architecture and languages... with the ability to keep backups until you are sure you don't have any issues.

I borked an install once with monolingual.. i'll pass on it for now.

6. White Apple macrumors newbie

how to remove the unused languages and Garage bands (i no need them)?

7. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

1.5GB saved with Monolingual here. I really don't need my Mac to be able to speak languages I can't, so I might as well have the space back...

It's been a while since I've had a hard drive small enough to worry about stuff like that!

8. Lord Appleseed, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Did you remove Intel Architecture too?

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I used it as designed as IT guys tend to. Why do you always seem to have some snarky comment? Are you miserable? I hope your day tomorrow is better.

Given they version releases it is entirely likely hiccups occur. I was merely pointing out that xslimmer allows reversal should one arise.

10. Lord Appleseed, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

My day is not miserable at all, thanks for asking.

As for Monolingual: I have no clue what you are babbling, because half you say doesn't really make sense.
    Fact is i have used Monolingual on 5 macs up until now. Removed All except 3 Languages, removed all architectures except Intel and Intel 64, saved up to 2 GB of space and never screwed my system. So whatever it is you did, you did it wrong.

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

12. mitup macrumors newbie

Will everything work as it should if you remove everything but English? Or is that too much?

13. great high wolf macrumors regular

great high wolf

I dumped everything except English and British English. System still boots and apps still open.

14. micamicamica macrumors newbie

I used Monolingual the other day, just trying to save up some space. I MESSED UP so now my keyboard is not working :) i didnt removed any architectures as far as i can remember. I wanna try it again as soon as i fix this keyboard. lol!

any advice on how can i do it right? I also read on some forums not to use Monolingual if you are using MS Office, is this true? (sorry for the ignorance.) Thanks. :)

15. Lord Appleseed macrumors 6502a

Lord Appleseed

Well, only remove languages, keep all the english versions and maybe some others like German, French and Spanish. Leave the Keyboard layouts alone. And in case you want to remove architecures, then dont touch Intel and Intel 64 bit.

16. n1tut macrumors regular

n1tut

Good post, I got rid of 2.5gb from my 64gb SSD.

All languages except English UK and USA, all keyboards except Apple, all architecture except Intel and 64, no problems afterwards.

tut

17. Eli727 macrumors member

2.1 gigs saved here- even left all versions of English (UK, Canada, etc.)

Thanks!

18. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

Don't forget to run it again after software installs and updates... it's not just a one time thing.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Earlier versions of MS Office would not update properly if languages were removed. There was a work-around, but it's not longer necessary, as MS Office updates fine with languages removed. Be aware that when you install an update for MS Office (and many other apps), it will reinstall the languages you previously removed, so you'd have to run Monolingual again after the update, to re-remove those languages.

It is always recommended that you do a complete backup before using tools like Monolingual, so if you make any mistakes, you can quickly recover. Also, be aware that some apps may not function properly if certain languages are removed. As always, you should exercise extreme care when using apps like Monolingual, as deleting the wrong thing can create significant problems. As a rule, you're better off moving user files to an external hard drive, rather than deleting anything system-related.