Use music on an external as iTunes library?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by matthews, Feb 13, 2008.

1. matthews macrumors regular

Hey guys.

Today I just got a new mac pro, upgrading from my Powerbook G4.

I had stored all the music for my iTunes directory on my Powerbook on an external HD, where the iTunes music volume was located.

I want to be able to have my iTunes add the library, but not copy the files onto my new HD. In other words, just open the files off the external.

How can I accomplish this?
    Thank you

2. iMouseHD macrumors regular

iTunes-Prefs-Advanced-iTunes Music Folder Location-Change

Set the location to the iTunes library on your external drive.

3. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha matthews,

I second this approach, and it is what I use - it works really well between two computers. For example, I have three Macs - an iMac, a MacBook Pro, and a PowerMac G4 (I haven't pointed iTunes on that one to my iTunes library as of yet). I have my media files on an external hard drive (500GB Western Digital MyBook), but liketo take them with me while on vacation (I really miss Mac OS Ken's podcasts, among others). My solution is to point iTunes on both my iMac and my MacBook Pro to the external hard drive for my iTunes library. This works like a charm! I also don't have to worry about syncing my iPhone while on vacation as well, as my MacBook Pro can access the same iTunes library as my primary computer, my iMac.

HawaiiMacAddict

4. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I do this too. Keep the iTunes music folder on my WD Passport 120 GB external. Works quick and perfectly, great when traveling as well!