Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I'm looking to buy a G4 Cube, but I don't want to buy one of the old thin Apple flat panel monitors, because I'm only a college student, so I was wondering if I could use my PowerBook as a display for the Cube. What connection does the G4 Cube use for the display?

Daniel.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
BurtonCCC said:
What connection does the G4 Cube use for the display?

If it's the original video card, it will have standard VGA and the weirdo ADC connectors.

I don't think there's any way to use your powerbook as a monitor.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
BurtonCCC said:
I'm looking to buy a G4 Cube, but I don't want to buy one of the old thin Apple flat panel monitors, because I'm only a college student, so I was wondering if I could use my PowerBook as a display for the Cube. What connection does the G4 Cube use for the display?

Daniel.
There is no practical way to move the signal into the Powerbook.

Impractical ways include using some variation of VNC program, or going through a VGA to video digitizing to Firewire setup externally, but results will almost certainly be unacceptably slow and poor quality.

Morn

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2005
Become Steve Wozniak and make your own LCD controller circuits for the powerbooks LCD :p I think that's about all you can do.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Well isnt there a Firewire to DVI/ADC connector somewhere? What condition is your Cube in? I'm actually looking for one!

Either that or an iBook G4 with DVDROM/CDRW. nothing fancy just small for fun.

BurtonCCC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 2, 2005
Wheaton/Normal, IL
I want a cube simply for holding all my music and backing up my DVDs. Problem is, the hard drives are usually no more that 20GB, so I'd have to stick a big fat hard drive in there.

As for where you get them, they're all over eBay and most of them are left over from graphic design companies, so they all have been upgraded to around 1GB of RAM.

Daniel.

rockandrule

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
I think everyone should have a cube.... Now someone make me a proud owner!

Maybe this is something for MWSF '06?? Possibly a ViiV Cube? Yeah, you heard it here first. My mom told me it was the best idea ever. Yep, not even a Tuesday, but it's time for change.

sean.ferguson

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2005
Scotland
BurtonCCC said:
I want a cube simply for holding all my music and backing up my DVDs. Problem is, the hard drives are usually no more that 20GB, so I'd have to stick a big fat hard drive in there.

Or, buy a nice cheap IcyBox enclosure and a fat 250 drive. :rolleyes:

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
ADC->DVI adapters are cheap, i'd just buy a cheap HDTV and hook the cube up to it, bam coolest media center type thing ever.

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
puckhead193 said:
i thought the cube was discontinued/recalled because it could overheat.... :confused:

It was discontinued(a.k.a. put on ice) because it was expensive, not too expandable, and not too many people bought it., or something close to that. I don't think there was a recall because of overheating, was there?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
no overheating issues, some are caused by some upgrades but otherwise the cube is good, the BTO radeon did tend to die after a while due to fan failure.

people did not buy the cube because of it's lack of pci slots, people think they will use them but they never do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.