Use my 40" Sharp Aquos flatscreen with MacMini or MBP?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by patent10021, Sep 6, 2011.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68030

patent10021

I have a 2008 Aquos 40" flatscreen and need to buy a Mac for audio (Logic) work. I sure wish I didn't need the TV AND computer. Takes up lots of space in my small Japanese apt. Would be great to have a set up with a small foot print. i.e. use a MacMini and my flatscreen TV as a display. Anyone know of any drawbacks? I'm not doing pro graphic design or anything so it should work as a display just fine right?

Other issue is TV. My cable connection is routed to my Sharp DVD player/TV recorder/TV all in one box then HDMI out to my flatscreen. How can I input this cable signal into a MacMini or other Mac? Can I go HDMI out from the Sharp DVD player into any new Mac and simply watch that same TV broadcast? Do I need some sort of El Gato box and if so why since my DVD Player has HDMI and some Macs have HDMI right?

I sure wish Apple sold 40"/50" iMacs or standalone displays.

2. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

To connect your Mini to your television, you would need to connect an HDMI cable going from the output port (the only HDMI port on the mini) to an input port on your television. If you don't have an available HDMI port, you can either a) purchase an HDMI switch, b) purchase an elgato box to run your television signal through the mini to the TV, or c) purchase an HDMI switch to get more ports.

As to inputting video signal into your Mini, the video ports are output only, which means you can't send video into the mini. However, you can buy a converter (elgato is pretty popular here) and input the signal through the box via a USB port. Also, you would need to use component or composite connections with elgato products, since none of them support HDMI. For HD, I'd look at the eyetv HD.

3. patent10021, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011

patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68030

patent10021

Actually, my fault. I was talking about a different setup for that question. How can I send the TV broadcast into any Mac such as an iMac since it has a fairly big display? My cable goes into my Sharp all in one TV Tuner/TV recorder then HDMI out to my Sharp flatscreen which has 4 HDMI inputs. Don't iMacs have HDMI inputs? I'm thinking about this setup as well because I might be able to sell my flatscreen if I feel that 27" is enough for me in this small apt.

What I need is an HDMI to DP converter right? Like this? Will that work on newer Thunderbolt iMacs?

Ah Those adapters are for 2010 iMacs. No options for Thunderbolt iMacs. Everyone is waiting for Kanex.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=806175&page=46

4. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

obsidian1200

The eyetv HD will still work for the iMac. For simple TV viewing, I'd personally recommend going that route (if you can; I'm not sure how well elgato supports Japan TV broadcasts), since it would allow you to record programs using the iMac (elgato products all work over USB, so you can use it with any Mac, so long as it meets the specifications). However, if you also wish to play games from an external source using your iMac's display, then the Kanex XD would be the better route, as the eyetv has enough lag in signal to make gaming more... challenging.