Use my iPhone's SIM card?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by wackymacky, Jan 30, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

If the ipad is unlocked, what will happen if I put my iPhones SIM in? Can I use the data plan already associated with that?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They don't use a standard SIM. They use a micro-SIM. There is no adapter to go from one to the other.

3. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Perhapps the next iPhone will have a micro-SIM rather than mini-SIM

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I really doubt it. Many carriers just don't offer micro-SIM

5. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

So how does Apple expect to sell iPad in other countries?

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

well if your talking about att they offer it for the ipad why not the phone?

7. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

International. O2 and Orange: I *think* have some micro sims, but others don't.

8. bigwayne3000 macrumors regular

according to ilounge, the micro sim card is identical in terms of the inner workings to its big brother. onyl difference is the size of the card itself. the article stated it would in theory be possible to cut the regular sim card down to size to fit into the iPad. only problem is that than you wont be able to use the small sim in the iphone.

9. johnnyhow macrumors regular

The sim card is small enough as it is without making it micro. This is just apple's sneaky way of ensuring that people don't use their existing 3g sim cards on an ipad.

10. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I honestly don't know, but only a few carriers, if any, use Micro SIMs.

11. dekka007 macrumors member

Tethering, MyWi,PDAnet.

All options that make the 3G version pointless for iphone users unless they really must have Assisted GPS on their ipad (You have it on the phone).

12. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I wonder if can probably cut your current SIM to the micro size and use an adapter to to switch back to regular SIM.

13. King Mook Mook macrumors 6502

They expect them to manufacture Micro SIMs for the iPad. I honestly think it is ridiculous how Apple have used Micro SIMs instead of full SIMs for the iPad. I mean if they can fit a full sized SIM in the iPhone then they can fit a full sized SIM in the iPad.

I also think they've done this because although they sell it unlocked, you can't use it with any other carrier because they don't use Micro SIMs.

Although you could just file down a SIM so it would be a Micro SIM and fit and as the contact points theoretically it would work. Alas, in real life it would not work. The Micro SIMs have new security and encryption so even if you filed down a full SIM it would still not work.

King Mook Mook

14. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Exactly...this is such a BS move by Apple/AT&T. Simply another way to steal more money from us.

I already pay 30 dollars for 3G data...why cant I take that sim and stick in in the iPad and go my merry way??? Its not like ill be using both at the same time.

Its unbelievable...