Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
I want to use my tv as my computer monitor and I have the plug connected to my computer and tv and my mac recognizes the tv but i can't seem to figure out how to have the computer monitor show up on the tv.

b1u3b0y

Mar 24, 2008
I use the source button on my TV...it's kind of like the Video function on older televisions. Does your TV have a source button?

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
well it has input and i put it to pc but it says "no signal" i think theres something i have to do on the actual computer.

b1u3b0y

Mar 24, 2008
If you go to system preferences and click on displays try clicking on Detect Displays.. That could be what you need to do...but sometimes you just have to fiddle around with the cable connected.. mine cuts out sometimes..and that's what i do!

calebmedia

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2008
go into system prefs>displays and click the "detect" button se what you get. Also check you res

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
make sure the tv is on the right input

on the computer, go to sys prefs and go to displays and try hitting "detect displays"

the tv says it's on the pc source but it shows up no signal.
when i click detect displays two screens do show up that say "imac" and "haier" which is my tv, but nothing shows up on the tv screen.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
the tv says it's on the pc source but it shows up no signal.
when i click detect displays two screens do show up that say "imac" and "haier" which is my tv, but nothing shows up on the tv screen.

my guess is that you dont have your tv on the right input. most tv's have quite a few inputs

what does my res be?

res=resolution

just set it to the max it allows you to

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Cable issue?

I had that problem before. I hooked up my work MacBook Pro via mini-DVI- to-VGA > LG HDTV set, the MBP recognized the LG TV, but the screen was black.

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
my guess is that you dont have your tv on the right input. most tv's have quite a few inputs

res=resolution

just set it to the max it allows you to

yeah there are 7 inputs and i tried them all, no luck.
and i also tried various resolution but nothing seems to work.

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
now i really must of messed things up, i clicked turn off mirroring and now there's nothing on my tv and my computer has nothing except this webpage everything is gone from my desktop.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
now i really must of messed things up, i clicked turn off mirroring and now there's nothing on my tv and my computer has nothing except this webpage everything is gone from my desktop.

Holy crap what are you doing? This is so easy a well trained monkey could do it.......

First: What type of Mac do you have?

Second: What type of TV do you have? Either a HDTV (LCD, Plasma, DLP) or SDTV (CRT)

Third: What type of cable are you trying to use? (VGA, Component, DVI, HDMI, Composite, S-Video) and What adaptors are you using?

I think one of the problems is that your trying to use a analog connection instead of a digital.

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Holy crap what are you doing? This is so easy a well trained monkey could do it.......

First: What type of Mac do you have?

Second: What type of TV do you have? Either a HDTV (LCD, Plasma, DLP) or SDTV (CRT)

Third: What type of cable are you trying to use? (VGA, Component, DVI, HDMI, Composite, S-Video) and What adaptors are you using?

I think one of the problems is that your trying to use a analog connection instead of a digital.

imac pro
Haier HDTV
i don't know what kind of cable it is, except that it's a 2 sided monitor cable with an attachment to use it for a mac

the computer actually showed up for like a second on the tv screen i just don't know what i did.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
imac pro
Haier HDTV
i don't know what kind of cable it is, except that it's a 2 sided monitor cable with an attachment to use it for a mac

the computer actually showed up for like a second on the tv screen i just don't know what i did.

Mmmk.....

By "iMac Pro" I'm going to assume you mean that you have either a aluminum iMac or white iMac..

Anyways, Do you happen to have a camera? You could take pictures of the inputs on your TV and the cables you are trying to use. If you don't have a camera then at least take a picture of the cable your trying to use with your iSight camera. Then upload them and we can decide what is going on here and/or what you need to accomplish this.

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Mmmk.....

By "iMac Pro" I'm going to assume you mean that you have either a aluminum iMac or white iMac..

Anyways, Do you happen to have a camera? You could take pictures of the inputs on your TV and the cables you are trying to use. If you don't have a camera then at least take a picture of the cable your trying to use with your iSight camera. Then upload them and we can decide what is going on here and/or what you need to accomplish this.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj207/hayley21588/PART_1226520368956.jpg
thanks for your help :D

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008

Ok That's a VGA cable with a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. I'm assuming your TV has the same exact input on your TV (The blue connector)?

I think one of the problems is that your using a analog connection between the TV and your mac OR your sending a unsupported resolution to your TV.

When you connect your mac to your TV (make sure you have the correct TV input selected) then under system preferences click "detect displays".

What happens?

under system preferences ------> displays -------> resolutions:

What available resolutions are there?

Let's start small say:

720 x 480

OR

1024 x 768

OR

1280 x 720

OR

1366 x 768

What happens when you try to select these? I don't know but it may help to click detect displays in between each resolution and/ or turn off your TV in between.

If this doesn't work then I would suggest you get one of these: Mini DVI to HDMI and one of these: HDMI cable depending on how long of a cable you need.

hayley215

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
Ok That's a VGA cable with a Mini-DVI to VGA adapter. I'm assuming your TV has the same exact input on your TV (The blue connector)?

I think one of the problems is that your using a analog connection between the TV and your mac OR your sending a unsupported resolution to your TV.

When you connect your mac to your TV (make sure you have the correct TV input selected) then under system preferences click "detect displays".

What happens?

under system preferences ------> displays -------> resolutions:

What available resolutions are there?

Let's start small say:

720 x 480

OR

1024 x 768

OR

1280 x 720

OR

1366 x 768

What happens when you try to select these? I don't know but it may help to click detect displays in between each resolution and/ or turn off your TV in between.

If this doesn't work then I would suggest you get one of these: Mini DVI to HDMI and one of these: HDMI cable depending on how long of a cable you need.

OMG it works! lol
thank you so much!!

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
imac pro
Haier HDTV

imac pro?? lolz...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.