Use my wife's eligibility?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by danny_w, Sep 22, 2010.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

Sorry, I know this has probably been asked and answered but I could not find anything in a quick search. I have 2 lines on a family plan; my line was upgraded almost 1 year ago so is not eligible, but my wife's line is contract free and fully eligible. Can I upgrade my wife's line to an iPhone (yes I have her permission that she wants to keep her old "dumb" phone) and then activate it on my line? The only thing tying it to a line is the SIM card correct? What would be the procedure?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, people do that all the time.
    You can ask AT&T to transfer your sim info into a microsim and just stick it in the new iphone.

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, I thought that was the case. An AT&T store would be better than an Apple store in this case then? I don't think they do any work with SIM cards.

EDIT: I ask because I don't really want AT&T to open the box.

4. RuggedPro macrumors regular

Do it over the phone or online.

I've got a similar question. Could someone add a line for $9 get the iphone for $199 then cancel the $9 line and use the phone on an already existing line?

5. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

no. adding a line does not qualify for a subsidized phone.

i believe you're eligible if you upgrade to the family plan, but then you're stuck for 2 years.

6. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

I'd strongly recommend going to an AT&T store. I've done this several times over the past couple of years, and the 2 times i've done it over the phone have always been a disaster - devices not showing up properly in my account, multiple calls necessary to make the change, etc... (YMMV).

I've done the same thing in store 3 or 4 times, never an issue. Yes, it takes a while...yes, they'll ask for your wifes information - but once done, it's done.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think it does qualify but it comes with a $325 ETF.

8. RuggedPro macrumors regular

Adding a line absolutely qualifies you for a subsidized phone. Did it 4 times over on our family plan at staggered intervals.

Specifically I was wondering if you could cancel the $9 add on within the 30 day window that ATT gives you and activate said phone on an already existing line.

Just a question about a theory. I'm maxed out on lines personally (5).

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's correct, if you cancel before 30 days you need to return the phone and pay restocking fees, if you do it after 30 days you can keep the phone but you pay ETF.

You can't do it over the phone or online because you will need a new SIM, you need to do it at a AT&T store since Apple store cannot activate a new SIM for a different line in your account.

The Phone need to be activate on the line that is being upgrade, so your Wife SIM will be deactivate and the new MicroSIM on the phone will be activate it with her line, AT&T will give the phone to you and give you a new MIcroSIM with your Line, and your old SIM will be deactivate, and them Give your wife a new (regular) SIM for his phone. (they don't reactivate SIM once they are De-activated) that is why you need to do it at the store.

10. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I hope they don't deactivate here SIM because then she would lose all of her contacts and history. It is a dumb phone with no way to get the contacts off the phone. I'm sure I could work around it but it would be a pain.

11. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

really, this makes no sense at all. att pays apple at least that much per month to subsidize the phone. over the course of 2 years, they don't even break even. even with etf, they make a measly $25?

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As i said, the phone need to be activate on the upgraded number, so if you want to use your wife eligibility, her SIM will be deactivate and the new MicroSIM inside the phone will be activated. You can get the contacts of the SIM, at7T got tools for that.

Carrier don't make money on Handsets, that is a well known fact. They are on it for the service and monthly recurrent revenue. If they make $1 on the handset, that is already a cherry on the top. (as long as they don't come upside down they are fine)

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It makes perfect sense.
    You cant get new subsidized phones without signing a 2 year agreement and paying the ETF if you break that contract.
    Thats how phone upgrades have always worked with every carrier.

14. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

People and their FALSE information. It's cool if you don't know and say well "I don't think" or "I'm not sure" but you people come here and unequivocally just say no to something when you have no idea of what you're talking about. It never fails. HAHA.

15. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

this is my point, att makes no money on the service here. you pay them $9 a month for the extra line and in turn they pay apple for the subsidy. it actually costs them money to process the set-up and monthly billing.

16. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

you're right and i now stand corrected.

17. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

$9 Line, 18 activation, at least $15 Data, minimum of $5 Text/MMS, Insurance (if you pick AT&T), Chances of you going over your minutes, and upgrading your plan to fit more people in your family, believe me it add up.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Trust me, they make money.
    Texts, data and minutes add up.

19. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I just called at&t and the rep said that if I advise them when I go into the store that they will NOT deactivate my wife's SIM card, but will activate it on my line. The only thing my wife's line has to do with it is that hers is the line that will be extended 2 years.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Maybe they change it, but just keep in mind that it could happen, (maybe it had changed) but this used to be build-in into the system, it was not like the operator or AT&T didn't want to do it, but if they activate the phone on your line, the system will charge your account for the full price (if you are not eligible). as i said maybe they changed that.

21. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I guess I will find out after work if they can do what she said. It would be a real pain otherwise.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Its like a movie theater that makes the bulk of their money on popcorn and not the actual movie. Or mcdonalds that loses a few cents on every 99 cent hamburger but makes a bundle on sodas. Besides, who cares about profits nowadays? Its all about the stock. And if you are the only carrier with the iphone, you have a reason to brag about your company and try to get people to buy your stock. AT&T must be glad that no one else has the iphone and no one ever will no matter what you read ever, ever.

Pretend that last part is written in blue.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats what I had in mind also.

24. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I called the Apple store at the Domain and they said that they can only activate it on my wife's line but that perhaps at&t could do what I wanted. I will stop by at&t after work to see what they say in person. I could always do the upgrade online and have them ship it unactivated (which they said they will do if I call and ask them ahead of time).

25. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Well I just did it at the AT&T store and it was quick and easy with no disruption to my wife's phone except that she had to setup VM again (no biggie since she had no custom messages anyway and she learned how to create one). And I basically got the iPhone free since I just got $250 in gift cards from AT&T U-Verse. So now I am back in the iPhone family again after an absence (I had the original but sold it a good while ago). I will have some learning to do since so many things have changed in 4.1.