Use new 27" iMac and PC together with KVM - possible?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by AdiosVista, Dec 16, 2010.

1. AdiosVista macrumors 6502

I've searched around and can't find a straight answer on this. I currently have the latest 27" iMac. I'd like to keep using the iMac for work purposes, but also want to hook up a gaming PC through a KVM switch and use the iMac as a display for the PC. Is this possible? If so, what product does everyone recommend? Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

Do you want to use the KVM switch for the keyboard and mouse (which are wireless btw, if you use the iMac's ones, thus such a KVM switch would be kind of pointless)?

Anyway, if you have a PC with a GPU having a Mini DisplayPort, you simply need a Mini DisplayPort cable and use the iMac in Target Display Mode. (http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/using-target-display-mode.htm)

3. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

I use the wired keyboard and switch to a wired mouse when gaming, so the KVM should still be fine.

Thanks for the help.

4. simsaladimbamba

Then it seems, almost any KVM switch will do (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=918779) as the switch does not care about the OS.

5. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, the keyboard and mouse do not really matter, any KVM switch will do. My main concern was with Apple using the mini displayport and how hard it would be to find a KVM to work with that and a PC video card.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why would you need a KVM switch for that? All you need is a GPU with (Mini) DisplayPort or an adapter like this

7. simsaladimbamba

There is no need for a KVM switch with Mini DisplayPort (MDP), as you can connect the PC's GPU (if with MDP) directly to the iMac's MDP via one cable and use the aforementioned Target Display Mode, or if your PC has a GPU with a DVI out, you need an adapter like this: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-Dual-Link-DVI-to-Mini-DisplayPort-Converter-USB-Powered.html

8. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

But I still want to use one keyboard/mouse between both computers, hence the need for a KVM switch. My previous response was in regards to my preference of using a wired keyboard/mouse versus Apple's wireless input devices. If I connect directly from the iMac's mini displayport to the PCs GPU, I'd need a separate set of keyboard/mouse to operate the PC, correct?

9. simsaladimbamba

No, if you use a simple keyboard/mouse switch, then no. You could also just use longer USB cables, that are reaching your table top and plug the keyboard from Mac to Windows PC and vice versa. You can leave the MDP cable plugged in all the time.

10. AdiosVista thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, it's making more sense now. Thanks all, I greatly appreciate the input!

11. NicolasFM macrumors newbie

How do you end up choosing which port to use on the iMac? If you have both plugged up can you switch back and fourth?

I can't RDP into my laptop because its a work laptop that I do not have any access to off the corporate VPN, and I would love to only use my 27" monitor and flip back and fourth between my Mac and PC.

12. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

As long as the keyboard is controlling the iMac, Cmd+F2 will switch between the iMac and external input.