Use new iMac's ML Licence to upgrade existing MBA

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by glintoz, Feb 1, 2013.

1. glintoz macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have just ordered a new iMac 27" which will come with ML installed (obviously). I also have a MBA with Lion currently installed.

Q: When I register my new iMac with ML does that mean I can download the ML upgrade and use it on my MBA ? Or do I actually need to buy a new licence from the App Store?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You need to buy it. The preinstalled ML doesn't give you a license to use it on other computers. However, if you buy ML from the app store, you can install it on any Macs you own.

3. glintoz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, was worth a shot.

The next question I suppose is should I upgrade my MBA to ML ?

4. simsaladimbamba

Depends on what kind of MBA you have. If it has an i5 or i7 CPU with 4 GB RAM or more, you could do it. If it has only 2 GB RAM, you are better off with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard or Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.

5. glintoz thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 1.8G i7 4GB and 256GB SSD version (top spec of previous generation) so it will run it. My concern is all the issues people seem to have with stability, compatibility etc. I know that a large number of people are running it very successfully just wary of the comments on this forum regards issues.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

It the MBA is only lightly used (browsing, iLife, iWork and only 1 or two apps at a time) ML works just fine with 2GB of RAM.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Mountain Lion is much better than Lion!