Carrier Use non-Verizon SIM card and warranty question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kevjen888, Oct 8, 2017.

1. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

i bought a brand new sealed Verizon model A1661 iPhone 7 Plus from a private party. Everything checked out, she even shown me the receipt of full payment. The phone is currently working fine with my T-Mobile SIM card, however when I used phone’s serial number to check warranty status, I’m getting the message warranty info can’t be displayed because phone’s not activated. I activated the phone initially with the Verizon Sim came with the phone. When it got to the welcome screen then I swapped it out for my T-Mobile SIM card. Does apple honor iPhone warranty if the phone is used by a different carrier than the phone is intended for? She bought it from a Verizon store.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm 99% sure that the warranty is still valid no matter which SIM you use.

3. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sure hope so. Could be the delay when the info gets to show up on apple’s warranty site, consider I just activated it couple hours ago.

4. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

This happened to me using a different sim in a straightalk iPhone 5s. Straightalk said I never activated the phone even though I used it for over a year. It was a Verizon iphone but I used a straightalk sim that was ATT based and not the Verizon straightalk sim that came with it.

5. kevjen888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Warranty information shows up today, so I guess it takes a while to get uploaded to Apple.

6. azzamitown macrumors newbie

azzamitown

I use T-Mobile on a Verizon iPhone 7 Plus (and a Verizon 6S Plus before that). Done a few warranty claims and never had an issue.

I even used the T-Mobile SIM to activate the Verizon phone.