use of a stylus with iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by b28c, Jan 22, 2009.

1. b28c macrumors newbie

Has anyone experimented with the use of a stylus pen or other blunt object for quick input?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The iPhone/iPod touch touchscreen responds to either the heat or the electric charge of your finger (can't remember which), so a stylus shouldn't work.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

4. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

yes, there are a whole range of styluses available especially to Touch/iphone users. ebay is your friend :)

5. jake921660 macrumors regular

A bit off topic but do the iPhones main competitors such as the Pre also have capacitative touch screens? Meaning they also do not work with standard styluses (styli?).

6. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

Surely you can use your fingers far faster than a stylus? I know I can.

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

I can use my finger faster too, but if I am typing something long, such as a post here, I use my stylus as there are almost NO fat-finger mistakes to correct. With my finger there is more typos in a longer post than I like. None with a stylus.

Mike

8. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I don't know for sure about Palm, but I have an a friend with the G1 so I can confirm HTC devices do NOT have the capacitive screen. Another reason I have a Windows based cellular, and an iPod touch and not the iPhone.

9. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Yes, I have the HTC Mogul from Sprint and mine doesn't have a capacitive screen either.

10. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Its been confirmed that the Pre will have capacitive touch screen the same as the iphone.

11. big-blue-wolf macrumors regular

big-blue-wolf

I suppose a stylus is thinner than your finger so it must be easier to be more precise in where you place it. The keyboard can be awkward occasionally especially when you have to press letters next to each other.

12. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

I have a Palm T/X and can confirm that it's stylus does not work on my iTouch. Honestly, the more I use my iTouch the more I like being sans stylus. All too often now, I'll find myself trying to enter data on my Palm using my fingers...which doesn't work too well either.

13. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Exactly. I now use my fingers more than 80% of the time, but occasionary, I find that I keep hitting "p" no matter how many times I try to hit "o." A stylus is just more accurate than a finger.

14. MrSEC macrumors regular

Also,a stylus would come in very handy if you are wearing gloves.

15. GetAudiHere macrumors regular

Naw no need! Just use you fingers. Listen to the WWDC release of the iphone and you will see steve jobs laughs at stylus'.

The only way it would make sense is with gloves but thats what they make convertible gloves for :D

16. chrisa79 macrumors newbie

chrisa79

this works perfectly fine, I use this one for my 2gen. :)