Use of Apple remote in class

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gtvyt, Feb 26, 2011.

1. gtvyt macrumors member

I'm sure this came up sometime I just didn't find it....

While using the apple remote for presenting in uni class full of students with macs.... well, strange thing happened.
    Is there a way of making the remote working ONLY on my computer?

Pairing make my mac to work with specific remote. I need my remote to work only with my mac and not others.

Thanks for any help!

2. gtvyt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks eternlgladiator, but this is not the problem. When I use the remote it affect hoer macs of students. imagine 8-10 macs start playing itunes....
    I need my remote to control my mac only! not others. The pairing you suggested is doing only half of the job by making my mac controlled by my remote.
    I need the other direction as well.

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

They all need to disable IR reception altogether or pair with their own remotes.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You will have to buy a bluetooth remote such as the Targus Bluetooth Laser Presentation Remote.

What you are asking is not possible with the Apple Remote. It is a simple infrared remote. Any devices that recognize the infrared patterns emitted by the remote will be affected. I had a Performa 6400 that would boot or shutdown whenever I pressed the power button on my Sony TV remote my only option was to tape over the IR receiver on my Performa to block the remote.

5. Awjvail macrumors 6502

The mental scene I'm playing out right now is hilarious.

But yes - you cannot lock it. It would be the same thing if you had two of the same TV sitting side by side. There is no way to lock one remote to one TV and one to the other... that is just the nature of the infrared tech.

6. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

It is possible. Read the apple support page supplied above. Everyone should either pair with their own remote or disable IR.

Attached Files:

7. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

+1

This is it. They shouldn't need their IR on. It does sound like a funny situation though.

8. some1uDNTknow macrumors regular

some1uDNTknow

Do you have an iPod Touch or an iPhone?
    If so, you could one of the those simple apps that allows you to control your mac through WiFi via your iDevice.

Good Luck