use of glass touchpad

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Elia, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Elia macrumors newbie

After a month or so i realize that i actually never click the touchpad... I mean the hard click - i just tap it and thats enough for me.
    What are you using it for?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I use it the same, I barely ever actually press down on the trackpad, seems to be faster for me to do that. And there's no noise, so even better when its late at night, since I have to share a room with my sister :(

3. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

:D

Sorry that just hit me as really funny.

4. thanachai macrumors member

This is my first post so I won't comment on that :D

The only time I click the trackpad is when I'm dragging and dropping. I agree though, it's much faster to tap.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

haha yeah I know, it sucks really bad, but it is because we have just moved to Canada, and are staying at a relative's place for now, so me and her basically have to share the room. :eek:

6. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I like the click for some reason. Don't use tap to click myself. Guess I'm more a fan of the tactile response from an actual click.

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I use it quite a bit. I don't like taking my finger off the pad, at times :rolleyes: . I always use it to drag and drop and I find it important to sit back and enjoy the clicking sound (press higher on the pad) when doing something important like finally sending out a programming assignement

8. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Originally, I was thinking about getting a wireless mouse, but now I decided not too. I wanted to take advantage of what Apple has included in the new products, as I bought the new MB for their new features. I don't have the tap enabled, as I came in from a PC and I used actual mouses. So far, I find the glass trackpad a great touch to the computer and all of the multi touch gestures are useful. I find the four finger ones the most useful.

9. fishniw macrumors regular

yeah i use click only to drag and drop and also when I'm sending doing something important. If i want something to work it feels like a better idea to click ha. other than that i go tap

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Tap to click all the way!!!! :D

Actual click is a very rare occurrence...I'll do it sometime just because i LOVE to hear that clicking sound... Mine sounds very solid! :rolleyes:

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I did the hard click for a while, but now I'm all over the tap to click (thought I used to hate this function on my old laptop).

I still hard click to drag, though.

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

yea i hardly ever click it down. just tap.

just give it a little tap, tap, tap, tap-a-roo

13. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

I have an old school MBP and never clic the button just tap. Its good to know I will still be able to do that on the new MB and MBP's.:apple:

14. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm sorry...

J/K!! i hope i dont get a canadian attack now...

15. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

HAHA! yeah...to really be honest, it's not THAT bad here. I still miss home (California), but the girls here are really cute :D Oh man, I shouldn't be saying that, I have a girlfriend lol

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

At least he didn't move to Jersey ;)

17. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

lol funny you mention Jersey, because my cousins live there :rolleyes:

18. Scallywag macrumors regular

I love the tapping...very fast for me and dead quiet.

I'd love to disable the click all together. Is this possible??? I haven't clicked the thing since the day I bought my MBP..

19. skorpien macrumors 68020

I'm all about the tapping too. I even use it to drag (double tap, hold second tap, drag). Though I still use the click to select and drag multiple files.

20. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

the only thing i don't like about the clicking is that it's difficult to click near the top of the pad. it's almost like the pad is a lever that is connected to the computer at the top of the pad, making it unclickable if you try to click at the top of the pad.

21. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

That's exactly right - the trackpad is hinged at the top.

I just look at it as a way of hiding the normal button - not really making the whole thing one big "button".

22. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i'm no engineer, but i wonder why they didn't make it a scissor-style button like the keyboard keys.

23. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Probably to avoid too many accidental clicks.

Wear and tear on a scissor switch that big might also be a consideration.

24. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

So after this thread I decided to turn on tap to click. I've hated it in the past on Windows notebooks because I always end up accidentally tapping when I'm just trying to move the pointer.

Under OSX I am amazed. It's nothing like under Windows. I haven't accidentally tapped it yet when I wanted to move or scroll instead. This is awesome :)

25. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I use tap to click quite a lot on my BlackBook, it just makes sense - you move your finger to a space and click on it.

However I do use the click quite often too, especially for double-click and dragging.

I guess its just one of those things that remains necessary to do...