Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I was about to do the info page for "PowerPC" when I found that wikipedia already has a very complete and factually referenced entry on it For broad topics like these, is it acceptable to use their page? Or should something else be done, like a link to wikipedia? I know much of the information on the page doesn't apply to Macs specifically, so should that be removed?

Edit: and material on the 68000?

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Using the whole page whould be pointless. There's lot of stuff there that's irrelevant to Mac users. We could make one of our own, but keep it a bit simpler and just have a link to Wikipedia for the more technical stuff (for those who is interested).

IMO.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
dubbz said:
Using the whole page whould be pointless. There's lot of stuff there that's irrelevant to Mac users. We could make one of our own, but keep it a bit simpler and just have a link to Wikipedia for the more technical stuff (for those who is interested).

IMO.

I agree, but is it (appropriate/right/legal) to just copy-paste the relevant material into the guide?

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
crazzyeddie said:
I agree, but is it (appropriate/right/legal) to just copy-paste the relevant material into the guide?

I don't think so--the guide is copyright by Macrumors, but according to this, you must make the text available under the same terms as the GFDL.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
crazzyeddie said:

Depends on the License we'll be using. I don't think arn has decided on one yet.

For now, I believe, copy'n pasting is legally questionable...

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Another thing. I think we should always remember to put in the the source for images and photos that is uploaded and make sure we have permission to use those. Will keep us from getting into trouble later. :p

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
wordmunger said:
I don't think so--the guide is copyright by Macrumors, but according to this, you must make the text available under the same terms as the GFDL.
IMO, we should simply make our page refer/link to theirs except for stuff that is uniquely suited for our pages. There's no point in copying text. In addition to possible copyright issues, it means we may get out of sync with them as the topic evolves (e.g. as new PowerPC chips come out.)

IMO, our page should focus on Apple's use of the chip in Macs and simply link to the Wikipedia itself for information about the chip itself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.