Use Old Sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iphonelvr, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Iphonelvr macrumors member

I have an Iphone 4 now and I used an upgrade for another line on my account to get the 4S. When I recieve the new 4S can I use the old sim out of my Iphone 4 or will I have to use the new sim that comes with it?

2. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

3. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

If you got the upgrade to your number then just use the new one. If you got it on another "ghost or empty" line then swap the sim cards. The sim will be programmed to whatever line you used to upgrade.

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Also, if the line you ordered the phone on doesn't need a data plan (or needs something other than an iphone data plan), remember to cancel that plan after everything is working. If you're on AT&T (no idea if you're in the US or elsewhere), you can do this via wireless.att.com and you'll just pay the prorated cost of the # of days that data plan was active.

5. Iphonelvr thread starter macrumors member

The line i used the upgrade from is a Iphone 3G and they will be getting my Iphone 4. So I guess all I need to do is put my old sim in the 4S and put the new sim in the 4 right? Oh I'm in the US on AT&T.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, that should work just fine. Turn the 3G off, activate the new phone, then swap SIMs and you'll be good. The old 3G SIM will be deactivated and I'd just throw it away.

In my case, I upgraded my own line and will give my iphone4 to my wife who is on a 3GS. I'll need to go to an AT&T store to get her a new SIM as I don't feel like messing around with cutting down her existing SIM.

7. Iphonelvr thread starter macrumors member

So your saying I need to activate the new sim in the new phone and then swap the sims?

8. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

I have a 4G SIM card in the phone my work has deployed me (Droid Bionic, bleh) - will that work as well in the iPhone if I cut it and then get an adapter (in case I need to switch back to the Bionic)?

9. syedhussain macrumors member

Can you call at&t and ask them to change the line on the account that you want the sim to work with?

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes, if you do so BEFORE activating the new SIM. Once a SIM is activated on a phone number it cannot be changed, it can only be replaced (AFAIK).

11. Iphonelvr thread starter macrumors member

Can i go ahead and put my old sim in the new Iphone 4S and then activate the new sim in the old Iphone 4?

12. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

My understanding is that if you did an AT&T upgrade and you are using a iPhone now you use the SIM card in the new 4S and activate that phone with that SIM on the network. You service will be moved to the 4S which deactivates your old SIM and iPhone4

Is this not correct?

----------

I am not sure that AT&T will let you move iPhone service to a non-iPhone SIM. You would have better luck activating the real iPhone SIM card in the 4S and then using an adapter to fit your regular smart phone when you switch.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't see why it wouldn't work, but is there a particular reason you want to do it this way instead of activating the new sim in the new phone before swapping? Just curious.

This is generally correct for a same-line upgrade, but Iphonelvr is doing an upgrade swap which is a little different. And to be specif the iphone4 doesn't get 'deactivated', only the old SIM of the upgraded line is deactivated.

14. woodekm, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Yea., i thought the ph. number is on the sim.

I used the upgrade (to qualify for the 4S) from my non data planed motorolla rokr (non smart phone), but DO NOT want that number as my main iPhone line. Im going to put my current iPhone 4 sim in the new iPhone 4S and activate it so I have my main ph number.

I understand a new data plan wont be "activated" on the old line, until / unless the non data ph number senses a smart phone on that line.

They know if the non data plan phones SIM is placed in a smartphone, and they will start charging you the additional $30 mo. I Tried to use my old iPhone 3GS last time as my second line (which I rarely use - only as a backup) and they tried to charge me the data plan, which I ended up fixing. Id just double check your bill at the end of the month.

15. GaresTaylan macrumors 6502a

Hmm, thanks for this. Since my work technically owns the number, I don't think that would be possible.

16. Iphonelvr thread starter macrumors member