Use old Time Machine on Fresh Install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orbitalpunk, Feb 14, 2008.

1. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

Hi there,

I have Time Machine backing up my External Disk 1 (which hold all of my photos and documents) to External Disk 2. I got a new Mac Pro today and I am trying to find out how to turn Time Machine back on and have it continue backing up External Disk 1 to External disk 2 with without it wanting to whip out External Disk 2 and doing a new TM backup all over again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks guys.

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

I think if you name your computer the same as your old one and tell it to use the old drive it'll keep the old history.

3. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

all the names have remained the same. still wants to wipe out my TM hardrive and start over. Any other ideas?

thanks

4. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

well applecare told me why. timemachine not only checks share names but also mac addresses. so i do have to whipe it out. but if in reinstall i'm still ok since its physically the same computer form now on and the mac address won't change.

5. hodgjy macrumors 6502

You could try to reinstall OS X on your machine and then use the migration assistant to import your previous Time Machine information.

I've never done this, but that's what the Apple documentation says you can do with Time Machine volumes.

6. orbitalpunk thread starter macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

wow, good idea. too late now since i rebacking up my TM. but will try to remember that next time i a buy a new comp.

Thank ya!