Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
I just got a new 22 inch screen yesterday, the LG L227WTG-PF. It was $60 off at Best Buy, down from $310 to $250. BTW, for anyone considering buying, this is an amazing monitor. Colors seem accurate, even before calibration. And at $250, it is a steal.

But here is my question:

In Windows XP, it is very easy to use only the external monitor, and shut off the screen on my laptop. I want to do this because I have the Intel GMA 950, and I am getting low frame rates on expose, dashboard, or spaces. Anyway, in Windows, I just open the Intel driver program, and select the option for use only external display.

However, in Leopard 10.5.4, I see only an option to mirror displays and an arrangement diagram in the arrangement tab of the display system preference pane. How can I turn off my laptop's internal screen, using only the external screen. I can't close my laptop, because I don't have an external keyboard or mouse.

Thanks for your help in advance.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
You need an external keyboard and mouse for that, so you can close the macbook.

drichards

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2008
On a late macbook pro F7 is a display mode toggle. You can switch between mirrored, ext-off, and ext-only I think. You need that to work on your... Dellintosh I guess?

See what F7 does either way. I just read a thing that suggested it didn't work, but who the hell knows with a hackintosh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.