Use other account's files from my account?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by css136, May 19, 2009.

1. css136 macrumors member

I am something of an administrator on this computer. Therefore I know all of the passwords.

Sometimes it would be useful if I could look at another user's files from my account. BUT I don't want to normally have access to these files -- I only want to have access to them after I have entered the password.

I could easily login to their account, do what I need to do, then log back into my account. It would be easiest if I could just do everything from my single account.

I know how to open a new Finder with root access, but when I try opening the files (e.g. pictures with Preview) it doesn't work because I technically don't have the access privileges. Does anybody know of a way for me to accomplish what I am trying to do?

I have also tried connecting to their account as a server but this isn't convenient either. I just want to enter a password, have access to all of the files FROM MY OWN ACCOUNT, then logout (this includes viewing, opening, etc.) Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Fast user switching, although doesn't allow viewing of files from just your account, makes it easier to switch between accounts.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Go to the Users folder on the hard drive. Click on their home folder, got to "Get Info", go to "Sharing and Permissions", and add your main account and give it full read/write access.

I've got this on a couple of computers, it works fine with no complications.