use photostream as backup solution when traveling

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by smellalot, Jun 2, 2012.

1. smellalot, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

smellalot macrumors 6502

hey photographers!

I was wondering if it's possible to use photostream to backup the photos taken with my Nikon D40 to iCloud when traveling for a long time.
    Maybe it is also possible to wake the mac over the internet and run Aperture so it downloads the pictures and makes a time machine backup.

Does the iPad still delete the exif information of the importet photos? That would make this solution useless.

It would be like this:

Nikon D40 -> SD-card -> camera connection set -> iPad -> iCloud -> Mac

Is anyone doing this? I just came back from my first trip with iPhone+iPad and absolutely loved to watch my pictures taken with my iphone on my iPad. Would be great to add my Nikon to the photostream family :)

Edit: forgot to mention I want to transfer photos in RAW format.

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

This probably isn't a very helpful post, but I just use Flickr. I have a pro account, it saves the original photograph, EXIF data intact, easy backup solution when traveling and you have internet access.

3. smellalot thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, thanks for your input anyway. I already use a free account on Flickr and like it.
    Do you transfer RAW or JPEG? I use RAW only, because that way I can take more pics/sec on my camera.
    When downloading the pictures from Flickr Pro are they exactly the same as on the camera?

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Photo Stream uses JPEG.
    I would never use it to back up unless it't backups of finished JPEGs or if I'm strictly shooting JPEGs.

5. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

That's a good point. It will use or convert to JPEG.

6. smellalot thread starter macrumors 6502

For anybody interested in this, I just found this article: http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/06/deep-dive-aperture-and-photo-stream-how-do-they-work/ in which the author says the iPad in fact does upload RAW pictures as long as they're not modified. So I might give this a try.

Why? This is much better than no backup at all. Especially with a Mac at home downloading the photos.