Use Quicksilver to Spell Check?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PoseidonMac, Nov 8, 2011.

1. PoseidonMac macrumors member

Hi all, long time reader first time threader. I usually can find answers to my questions and dont need to post a new thread.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to use quicksilver to spell check a word on the fly. Example, I launch quicksilver hit '.' type a misspelled word then hit 'tab' and pull up a spell checker much like I would use dictionary or something. Thanks

2. PoseidonMac thread starter macrumors member

Anyone figure out an easy way of doing this? My spelling is horrendous.

3. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

If you are using Lion, you can begin to type a word into spotlight search and it will bring up the dictionary entry as a result. The one downside is that unlike quicksilver, you have to spell it correctly. Might need to do some trial and error in your case, but eventually the correct spelling will be confirmed. In case you were unaware, Command+Spacebar is the shortcut for spotlight so you can search for your words without even clicking!

good day

4. PoseidonMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. But I actually use quicksilver to do all my dictionary tasks.
    Make sure to have the dictionary module active in the plug-in section of quicksilver. Activate quicksilver (I use command+space bar) type a period and then a word, hit tab and then navigate to 'Look up in Dictionary.' It should open the dictionary app with the word you typed. Really easy and fast way to get a definition.

5. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Awesome, thanks! Have switched mostly from spotlight to quicksilver at this point and dictionary definitions are one of the last things I still use spotlight for, so I will look into this.

6. PoseidonMac thread starter macrumors member

I am bringing my own thread back just to say that Alfred, which is another app launcher, has a spell checker built in. Also it is faster and I would suggest it.