Use rEFInd to boot into EFI?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MythicFrost, Apr 29, 2015.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hi,

I need to disable the "High Definition Audio Device" which, despite me having uninstalled it from Device Manager multiple times, reappears after every reboot.

I did a little Googling and found rEFInd...

Naturally I'm a little hesitant to use it. If I made a mistake in EFI, how do I rectify it? Is there some way to reset the EFI?

2. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

rEFInd is an awesome program and the programmer is very helpful. You won't have any serious issues and it's easy to bypass if something were to go wrong. Good luck.

3. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I see. Thanks for your reply.

Does resetting PRAM, etc., reset the EFI to its default state?

4. ilkevinli macrumors 6502

ilkevinli

Holding down the option key on bootup allows you to bypass it.

5. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Ah awesome, thanks.

6. doynton macrumors 6502

Yes, if you reset PRAM rEFInd no longer boots and you fall back to the default OSX loader.

Don't be hesitant - it is an excellent bootloader and despite rather intimidating documentation extremely easy to use. There were some complications with Yosemite due to LVM but these were fixed earlier this year (it now installs by default to ESP). All you need to do is download the latest version and type ./install.sh

Only when dual booting Arch have I had to change the default script to pass different parameters - everything else has worked fine out of the box.