Use router to speed up connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nick1516, Sep 30, 2009.

1. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

My room is the farthest away from the router that we have in my house, and as a result, I get fairly slower connection than everyone else. Would a wireless router(if this wouldn't work what will) let me put that in my room(without plugging it in via ethernet) and show me an increase in speed?:confused:

2. celticpride678

You might want to get a wireless router with better range. For that, check out Netgear. For example, I have a Netgear WNR 3500 Wireless Router and it has excellent range.

3. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Yeah, but my dad has it on his desk and refuses to replace it, so I was wondering if there was an option to increase the speed in my room without replacing the first router.

4. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I think the only thing you can do is bring your computer as close to the router as you can.

5. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Unfortunately, that's not an option for me:(, can I not put a second router on my desk and have it connect wirelessly to the network and make it stronger, or is there something I could plug into the usb port to do essentially the same thing?

6. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

You either need a better router (wireless N works good when spanned across several rooms) or you need to run a cat5 or cat6 cable from the router to your computer.

7. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Well, that sucks, so I either need to buy a router or live with slower internet for the next 2 years:(

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you can set up a range extender. they cost more then a router. but can you run a Ethernet cable? you could run one part way and plug in another wireless router.

9. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I don't have one in my room right now, and I won't be able to get one either, so I'll look into range extenders.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

you could if your dad would let you with a short Ethernet cable plug another wireless router into it.

11. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Well, the issue with range extenders is that they do help with signal strength but downside is, they basically regurgitate the traffic they get. That means 2x the bandwidth use or 1/2 of available bandwidth can be used.

They're really marketed to boost signal strength rather than boost network performance per se. So it depends... is the signal bad enough that the OP is getting something small like 1-5 Mbps with lots of 'retraining'? Or signal is a little weak but still delivers network performance?

If he's getting at least about 10 Mbps on the wireless network, he's probably good to go as far as Internet-related data use goes.

12. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I would not go for a range extender. They seriously limit your bandwidth. Get an ethernet cable, and plug it to the router and your computer or get a better router.

13. nick1516 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Actually, I think I just found an ethernet port that no one knew about behind where my tv was :eek:, so I should be able to buy a second wireless router and it would come with the cable to plug into the port and it would work to increase my speed?