Use same data structure as Win xx machines???

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Spike88, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I'm new to iMacs. Thus, this is a very easy question for the experienced...

Within my old Win XP D: drive (D: was my Data drive - before it blew up), I had:
    D:\Data\Dad`s files\
    D:\Data\Wife`s files\
    D:\Data\Kid-1 files\
    D:\Data\Kid-2 files\
    etc. etc.

They would load their application (like MS Word) and save their newly created data file into their own D: folder. This structure kept everyone's files organized. And for ease of backups, I simply backed up the main D:\DATA\ folder.

In thinking of our new iMac (installed yesterday), can I use the same structure (off its My HD root)? Discovered I can create a new folder using Right Mouse button (got that figured out). But, I'm wondering how their documents would reside in the DOC-Document's folder. For example... Is the real DATA file in the approprite HDD folder and only its Alias exist in the DOC-Document's folder?

Sorry if I'm not using correct description names as well. But, I am a slow (but steady) `learner` of our new impressive iMac system...

thanks.

2. nobias macrumors regular

It's as simple as using a separate disk, or creating a separate partition for your data. Applications/utilities/disk utility.

Then create those folders and tell your family to save files in there.

The actual files will be saved there.

Make sure to display hard drives on the desktop for easy acess)

I would not recommend moving the original home folders themselves, all sorts of anomalies can happen when older programs that are hardcoded try to acress them.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

So are you trying to use a scheme where all family members use the same login account? That's what it sounds like anyway.

Personally, I created a separate account for each of our family members so they can all organize their stuff they way they want in their own home folder. For backups, connect an external USB driver and let time machine take care of the rest.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

ScoobyMcDoo is correct. You should have used separate accounts on your Windows computer. You should also use separate accounts on your Mac. If family members want to share files, then they should use the built-in facilities of the OS to share. It is easy. It is fun. It is proper computer practice.

5. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

As noted above, correct way is to create user accounts. Here's the Apple guide (it's for 10.5 Leopard, but as they don't seem to have updated it for 10.6 Snow Leopard, it's pretty much the same):

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8235.html

each user will then have his/her own Documents folder, Pictures folder, etc. etc.

Also note that there is a Shared folder created in OS X. Unsurprisingly, this is accessable by all users and is an ideal place to store non-private files for all users to access:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.6/en/8710.html