Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vhl71

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 8, 2009
Hi
I’m using the same iCloud account both on mine and my daughter’s iPhones. How do I make sure she cannot change the iCloud password from her device. Right now it lets her change the password or add other phone numbers as trusted devices without having to put the iCloud password. I don’t want that. How do I achieve this?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You'll want to use restrictions on the device itself. It's in Settings.

I might suggest Family Sharing. It will allow you to create a separate ID for your daughter, allowing you to keep your stuff private but also to be able to control what she can and cannot install. Her changing her password on the phone then wouldn't impact you. Family Sharing can be turned on in your Apple ID (on your phone). Family Sharing will allow you to create an Apple ID for a child under 13 and you can choose what you wish to control (aside from what the Settings app allows you to restrict).

To do this, you'll have to logout of your Apple ID on her phone and then login under her new Apple ID.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I'm with eyoungren on this one. I can't think of any reason you'd want to share an iCloud account with someone. But there are dozens of downsides.

Just set her up with her own iCloud account And connect that via Family Sharing. Set her permissions and your good to go.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I agree, don’t share iCloud accounts
That and it's also a PITA when sharing IDs that are not under Family Sharing. If you download an app under one ID and want to reinstall it while being logged in under your own ID then it's having to remember the password of the other ID. And if that's been changed…

Ugh.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I agree, don't share your Apple ID with anyone!
Not sure how old she is, this is another cool feature if you setup family sharing :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.