Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alfon_sico

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015
as many of us have the basic macs with 256GB seem usual the we use external disc to save some libraries and folders, as downloads, in a external drive

so I would like add the external folder in finder sidebar and change the default folder icon with the arrow sign

i know where the icns are in resources and i have change the regular icon with information window, however I don’t know how change the sidebar icon

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
however I don’t know how change the sidebar icon

Apple killed normal sidebar back in OS X Lion.

Unfortunately, now you can't change Apple's bland sad sidebar icons without 3rd party utilities.

You'll need either TotalFinder or XtraFinder.

Then, after enabling the sidebar color icons option, the sidebar will display the actual real custom icon you apply to your folders.

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
Sorry, but I have all externals listed.

I'm unsure of what you're asking.

If I understand correctly, the OP wants to see the REAL icons, including custom icons, not the lame replacement symbols Apple is using since Lion.

The OP was referring to a custom folder icon he'd like to see in the sidebar (which is also impossible without 3rd-party utilities).

For example, that's how real icons look in the sidebar (enabled by XtraFinder). Custom folder icons will also look properly when added to the sidebar:

1716692635277.png

Attachments

• 1716692604268.png
    1716692604268.png
    19 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: splifingate

splifingate

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2013
ATL
If I understand correctly, the OP wants to see the REAL icons, including custom icons, not the lame replacement symbols Apple is using since Lion.

The OP was referring to a custom folder icon he'd like to see in the sidebar (which is also impossible without 3rd-party utilities).

For example, that's how real icons look in the sidebar (enabled by XtraFinder). Custom folder icons will also look properly when added to the sidebar:

View attachment 2382413
Ah!

That makes sense.

I predominately focus-upon textual names, and spend little attention to icons, and such ;)

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
I predominately focus-upon textual names, and spend little attention to icons, and such ;)

Ok I see. Yes, you're lucky in this case.

It indeed depends on the personal visual perception type (or whatever the hell the correct scientific term for this is).

I know some people who didn't even notice that Apple changed the sidebar in Lion and were surprised that it made any difference to me.

On the other hand, there are also tons of users who hated this change and wanted the real icons back. Especially users who created custom icons for various projects - and lost the ability to quickly identify the desired folders in the sidebar by the look of the icon. Fortunately, some 3rd-party utilities appeared to address this (with various degrees of success, stability, and installation complicity).

If Apple actually listened to the users, it would've provided an option to use the real icons in the sidebar. Especially that technically it doesn't even take any effort to implement. (What takes effort is to replace the real icons with their substitutes).

However, Apple has completely ignored countless requests for this option that users have submitted over the years.

Reactions: splifingate

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
In Finder settings I have "Bens mac" selected to show in the sidebar and use that as the top level with custom icons:
Skjermbilde 2024-05-29 kl. 14.34.17.png

Skjermbilde 2024-05-29 kl. 14.39.54.png

zevrix

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
In Finder settings I have "Bens mac" selected to show in the sidebar and use that as the top level with custom icons:

I may misunderstand your approach but the point was to display the real icons in the actual sidebar (instead of the replacement symbols)...

1717129605728.png

P.S. Every time I see screenshots of Windows File Explorer it reminds me that Windows users actually do have this feature...

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
I may misunderstand your approach but the point was to display the real icons in the actual sidebar (instead of the replacement symbols)...

View attachment 2383756

P.S. Every time I see screenshots of Windows File Explorer it reminds me that Windows users actually do have this feature...
I'm sorry. I'll try not to bother you again.

alfon_sico

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 3, 2015

View attachment 2383756

My question in deed is now about real icon or new sidebar icons. The question is relate a “download icon” with a folder called “Donwllads” even if the folder is in another unit instead of the “common folder icon” shown for common folders

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.