Use Superdrive with a USB Hub?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iisarenotnobody, Jan 19, 2009.

1. iisarenotnobody macrumors member

I am looking forward to buy an Air, and i want to use it in desktop mode. I have read at some places that only the Macbook Air's USB will power the External Superdrive, is that true or can I use a USB hub and connect the superdrive that way?

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

That is true. The External Superdrive is only usable when plugged directly into the Macbook Air.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I've used a powered hub and it works just fine. It all depends on the amount of power that you have available for the particular multi-USB hub...

4. Pupator macrumors member

I use a non-powered 4 port I/OGear hub and it works fine (even burning dvds).

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll have to try that one. Thanks...

6. MorningZ macrumors newbie

MorningZ

Guess this is one of those "hit or miss" type things

My un-powered Targus one doesn't work with the Superdrive :(

[​IMG]

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Could you snap a pic of your IOGear hub, so we can know which one works?

Also, I know that the drive will work with the new cinema display, but does it work with the USB hub on the wired keyboard?

8. Pupator macrumors member

It's model GUH285 - this one: http://www.provantage.com/iogear-guh285~7IOGA018.htm

I'm not endorsing that particular store just showing which model it is. I should also remind everyone that I'm using Windows 7, not OSX - I don't know if that will matter on this issue (shouldn't, but who knows?).

9. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Or plugged into the new 24" LED display.

10. dehory macrumors regular

Wow, is it possible to confirm this in OS X? I've never come across mention of the Superdrive working with a unpowered USB hub. What else have you got plugged into the hub? It would be great if there was an unpowered hub which worked...

EDIT: Just came across this guy's post. It seems like it's just as likely to be a software restriction as a hardware one -- which is strange because there were those Superdrive mods which people started doing last year. And this is in addition to some people maintaining that it's a power-related problem even after investigative reports suggested otherwise...