Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Livi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
Hello
I have iPhone 7 on T-Mobile post paid one plus plan. But there are times and activities when I would prefer to carry a simple flip phone. I assume the iPhone is locked but I've had it for a year so it is half paid off.

If I purchase a cheap T-Mobile compatibile post paid flip phone, say at Walmart, can I just move the SIM over from my iPhone to the flip phone without having to pay for a separate line, and just use my existing tmobile plan on it? And then move it back to the iPhone the next day or whenever?
Thanks,
Li

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes if the spare phone you purchase is compatible with T-Mobile you'll be able to use your sim in that phone.
I have an older spare iPhone SE that I use sometimes in places or times that I don't want to bring my 7 plus with me.
And then I switch the sim back to my iPhone 7 when I'm done.
You'd be fine.

Reactions: Livi

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Gotta love a gsm carrier just for that reason. Just have to make sure the flip phone takes a nano sim or you can get an adapter. I do the same thing as AJ above. Took my SE to an Australian Pink Floyd concert this weekend because I did not want to lose my 7. Switched back the next day. It is seamless.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
Yes if the spare phone you purchase is compatible with T-Mobile you'll be able to use your sim in that phone.
I have an older spare iPhone SE that I use sometimes in places or times that I don't want to bring my 7 plus with me.
And then I switch the sim back to my iPhone 7 when I'm done.
You'd be fine.

Gotta love a gsm carrier just for that reason. Just have to make sure the flip phone takes a nano sim or you can get an adapter. I do the same thing as AJ above. Took my SE to an Australian Pink Floyd concert this weekend because I did not want to lose my 7. Switched back the next day. It is seamless.
The difference is both of the phones you've used are other smartphones, and also just a different iPhone.

Many carriers will change plans if you put the SIM in a flip phone, since you don't have data plans on them and they may fall off. I know this was the case with Verizon, I don't know for certain if T-Mobile is the same but you should definitely double check so you don't risk messing up your plan.

The other issue is iMessages, you'd have to turn that off if you want to continue to get text messages on your flip phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.