Use TableView without TableView Delegate or DataSource

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mikezang, Dec 14, 2010.

1. mikezang macrumors 6502a

I am using a UIViewController with UITableView, it works good, I didn't define <UITableViewDelegate> or <UITableViewDataSource>, but I can use all methods of delegate and data resource.
    I tried to find why I can use them, no result, can you tell me the simple reason, why?

Code:
    - (NSInteger)numberOfSectionsInTableView:(UITableView *)tableView;
    - (NSInteger)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView numberOfRowsInSection:(NSInteger)section;
    - (NSString *)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView titleForHeaderInSection:(NSInteger)section;

2. ianray macrumors 6502

The code works because the runtime successfully finds the required selectors.

The compiler has not been told that the class is compliant with the required protocols, and so you will see the warnings of the following form:

Code:
    /path/to/Classes/RootViewController.m:89:0 /path/to/Classes/RootViewController.m:89: warning: class 'RootViewController' does not implement the 'UITableViewDelegate' protocol

3. mikezang thread starter macrumors 6502a

The problem looks like ther is no such warning...

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

You probably only get the warning if you set the table's delegate and datasource in code. If you set it in IB then I think there will be no warning.