Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando87

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 25, 2014
Hello. I currently have a 4g internet connection for both home and outdoors. I've been thinking that having both a router at home and a usb modem for outdoor, as I currently have, is too complicated and unnecessary, so I've been thinking about replacing both them with a new iPad 4g, which can be with me all the time. The thing is, how long does the battery last if I use it sharing the internet connection all day?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
4-5 hours depending on if your just using the hotspot or the device plus hotspot

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
4-5 hours depending on if your just using the hotspot or the device plus hotspot
My old iPhone 4 can handle 3-4 hours as wifi hotspot and I know I've seen reports of newer models faring better. My iPad 3 has been able to handle over 24 hours as wifi hotspot with maybe 3-4 hours of web browsing and video playback. Heck, my iPad 4 handled 40 hours as hotspot and still had 20% charge remaining. I'm thinking the iPad Air 2 will likely do better than just 4-5 hours.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
My old iPhone 4 can handle 3-4 hours as wifi hotspot and I know I've seen reports of newer models faring better. My iPad 3 has been able to handle over 24 hours as wifi hotspot with maybe 3-4 hours of web browsing and video playback. Heck, my iPad 4 handled 40 hours as hotspot and still had 20% charge remaining. I'm thinking the iPad Air 2 will likely do better than just 4-5 hours.

I'm working on the assumption of multipul connections. Yes 1 device connected will offer a decent battery life assuming the iPad is not in use at the same time. But as the connections go up the factored time falls.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have heard some websites (such as Anandtech) claim that the iPad can support up to 24 hours of hotspot on a single charge. I am not sure if the internal circuitry is designed for such extended usage though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I'm working on the assumption of multipul connections. Yes 1 device connected will offer a decent battery life assuming the iPad is not in use at the same time. But as the connections go up the factored time falls.
The times I posted were with multiple devices connected. Generally, it's 2-3 devices (usually 1 laptop and 2 iPads) at the same time but sometimes it even goes up to the maximum of 5. I've been using my iPad 4 primarily as wifi hotspot for 2 years now and it can handle one work week of 8-hour days working almost solely as hotspot without the need to recharge mid-week.

Last edited:

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
Is there a way to use an Airport Express together with an iPad to expand on the five device personal hotspot limit? This summer, we were constantly running into the limit with the family at the vacation house.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Is there a way to use an Airport Express together with an iPad to expand on the five device personal hotspot limit? This summer, we were constantly running into the limit with the family at the vacation house.
I don't have the Airport Express but the way I got around the 5 device limit is through the use of 2 routers. One set-up as WLAN client (TP-Link TL-WR702N Nano Router) wired via ethernet to another which acts as gateway/router (any normal router). You can also use one of those gaming wifi adapters as alternative to the TP-Link. I've found they usually run more expensive, though. Nice thing about this set-up, even if you take away the iPad you still have a working local area network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.