Use the original iPhone without voice or data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Punchdrunk, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Punchdrunk macrumors newbie

My question is, can you use the original iPhone without voice or data to:

1. Synch my Outlook calender/Exchange server via Bluetooth/WiFi.
    2. Occasionally check email (Gmail and Exchange) via WiFi.
    3. Occasionally browse internet via WiFi
    4. Use the MP3 player (Move MP3s from computer via bluetooth or Cable).
    5. Manage contacts
    6. Create To do lists and reminders
    7. Play games.

Now, you may ask why in the world I would do this. The answer is: My friend is about to purchase an iPhone 3G, and has indicated that he would be willing to give me is old iPhone. Now we are assuming this is possible, and it might not be. But if it is, this would allow me to test out a variety of features on the iPhone without paying anything. If I like it, I could activate it.

Currently I use a Palm TX to help manage my life. I use it for a calender, notes, reminders, MP3 player, and to occasionally browse the internet or check email via WiFi. I very much like the calender and tasks feature on the Palm, and it doesnt make calls anyway (I dont actually own a wireless phone). I just need something that beeps to remind me to go to a meeting. I am usually either at my desk at work (with Wifi) or at home (with Wifi). I am considering getting a smartphone, and would like to compare how well the iPhone does these non-phone tasks before I put out money on my own iPhone 3g or before I activate my friends.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked previously.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Yes.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It will work fine, but simply remove the SIM and you can do whatever you want. Exchange support only via WiFi and Music via iTunes on the USB Cable. Everything else would work, but you would have to unlock it if another Firmware update comes or you want to restore it due to it attempting to activate. You would be better off just getting an iPod touch with the 2.0 software.

TEG

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

5. Punchdrunk thread starter macrumors newbie

The big reason is money. iPod touch costs money. This is free. If I really like it, I would probably end up buying my own within 3-6 months.

6. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Jailbreak it then. a quality used first gen iPhone goes for ~$400.

7. Punchdrunk thread starter macrumors newbie

I synch my outlook calender with bluetooth now. An iPhone wont do that? Just trying to clarify.

Thanks

8. Punchdrunk thread starter macrumors newbie

If he can get $400 for it, then I am not sure I would let him give it to me.

I am also worried that he will have to turn in the old phone to get the new 3g, so all this might be moot.

Thank to all for the advice

9. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

as far as I am aware, bluetooth in the iphone is for bluetooth headset, but not for data transfer. So you would need either wifi, or synchronize when connected by cable to your computer.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Depending on the condition, but > $300 is quite easy.

11. BrownianMotion macrumors newbie

So this is the exact situation we (my SO and I) are in. He got his boss' old first-gen iPhone and we are sitting here wondering how we get started. Specifically, he has an AT&T phone (Razr) and would like to use the iPhone for games, etc, without changing his phone service to the iPhone... IF he can. So here I have an iPhone, with no SIM card. It says it needs an unlocked and valid SIM to activate. What happens if we put the SIM in from his Razr? Are we going to incur charges on our AT&T bill (activation and/or data)?

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Punchdrunk -
    If you receive your mail in Outlook from a Corporate source, you can just connect directly to that source. Otherwise you just sync your phone with all the account data through iTunes and you can check your e-mail anytime over WiFi.

Brownian -
    If you insert the SIM, and the iPhone doesn't like it, no harm, no foul. If it does, then you have a new phone, the only thing to watch for is data usage.
    I would suggest activating the iPhone with the SIM from the RAZR through iTunes, he will keep his current plan, plus $20/month for the iPhone data. The original iPhone had no other fees because you did the activation yourself through iTunes. Then you can use that SIM in the iPhone or the RAZR (the latter would be good when there is the possibility of getting it dammaged).

TEG

13. BrownianMotion macrumors newbie

Ok. I put the SIM from the Razr into the iPhone and it is no longer protesting that an unlocked and valid SIM is needed; however, it still has the graphic showing me that I should plug it into iTunes. So I guess there isn't a super-simple way of using this iPhone as a phone without data? I'm assuming plugging it into iTunes would automatically add that $20/month to his plan.