Use this app to find where you can pay with Apple Pay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Sep 12, 2014.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

2. TreoRenegade macrumors regular

Huge thanks for this heads up. Downloaded, with a big ole sloppy grin.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Strange how the app doesn't have a single rating or review :confused:

You would think since it's been on the App Store since Jan 13th of this year that someone might have left one.

Attached Files:

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

5. baslotto macrumors regular

6. CoyoteRidge macrumors member

Find places that accept Apple Pay? Why ? The folks at Apple will love you and other customers who reason as you do.

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

You can be the first! ;)

----------

Why not? It is a new feature and people want to use it. What's wrong with that?

8. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

It's not always accurate. I am at a Subway that is listed in the app, but they don't have a terminal for customers to use at all, let alone a contactless one.

Fortunately, you can submit that fact (contactless not accepted), so hopefully the database will improve as people use it.

9. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

Pretty cool app! Just tried it and seems to be accurate.

Thanks!

10. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

I got all excited to go download this app...then I saw it optimized for iphone 5 then i realized how lame i would be just to look for places in an app to pay with my cell phone...i mean cmon if im somewhere and they accept it cool, but im not revolving my life around places that use NFC.

11. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

There's a middle ground that others have discovered.

12. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Folks like you must not care about technology.

----------

Remember when credit cards first came out? Not everywhere took it either. But instead of an app you got a large book like a phone book of who took the card.

----------

They probably do but they were dumb and didn't turn the terminal to face the customer.

In this case I refuse to hand my card over to cashiers,when they have a customer facing terminal, either let me slide my own card or let me tap my phone.

13. cjake macrumors member

Thanks for this. Had no idea there were so many retailers supporting contactless payments nearby.

14. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I've noticed it doesn't list all retailers that take it but it does most. It also helps you discover mom and pop places that you never knew took it.

15. cjake macrumors member

And discover places near me that I never would have noticed otherwise. Like a great burger and beer place; Burger Jones.

16. wxman2003 Suspended

One of the places shown on the map near me, a grocery store, had no NFC readers.

17. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Are you sure? They aren't immediately noticeable. At my local grocery store Basha's you tap the phone to the screen of the terminal anyway and it works. The screen just says please slide card. I tap the phone and the terminal processes the payment and off I go.

No contactless symbol or anything.

18. brgjoe macrumors member

Thanks for this! Will check it out. And didn't know about terminals that don't always display NFC or have that symbol -- will go ahead and try them now as well.

Thanks for the heads-up!

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I have this app installed as well and find it extremely useful. However, keep in mind it won't show all the locations that take NFC/Apple Pay. My local Home Depot isn't listed in the app but I did use Apple Pay with an Amex card there. Coincidentally, many are reporting that MasterCard doesn't work with Apple Pay at Home Depot so it's not surprising it's not listed.

20. poorcody macrumors 6502

poorcody

I've used the App over the last week and it is useful. Note that there are more places that take NFC than this lists... so far I haven't had any of the reverse though.

Has anyone noticed sometimes you zoom in on the map and then it will "snap" back and zoom out? So annoying!

21. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Must be an iOS 8 bug. Also remember the place has to take MasterCard to show in the app. My local AM/PM just got brand new NFC readers, but they only take debit cards, I can tap my WF debit on Apple Pay fine, but if I choose a credit card, it declines.- therefore not listed in this app.

22. JoeTomasone macrumors 6502

No, it just started happening with the latest update. VERY annoying.

23. deeddawg macrumors 604

Same happening here. Was fine before the app updated, now it snaps out the map zoom unbidden.

24. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

I don't see why you wouldn't. If retailers who refuse to adopt new technology don't see a decline in business because of it, the new tech will never be fully adopted. Its not that hard to shop at NFC only places... make some efforts and contribute to forward migration for christ's sake.

25. garya73 macrumors 6502

Another option is gosoftcard.com, they show a list of places that accept Softcard, but I am fairly certain that Softcard is not exclusive anywhere, and is simply showing places that accept NFC payments.

Though I have only used it at Walgreens and McDonald's so far. But local Subway locations are showing up as options.