Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Hi,

I'm getting my new iMac tomorrow, and want to transfer ONLY some specific stuff from my Macbook Pro's Time Machine backup.

So I'll create a brand new user, but then I won't be able to transfer from my old Time Machine, right??

What am I gonna do?

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
Yeah, but if I choose my user account only, then it will transfer all my Library/Preferences and other crap-stuff that fills up.. I don't want that.

Actually, the only thing I want is my iTunes library, iPhoto library and ~/Documents.

Would the best thing to do ACTUALLY be to restore my old user account, make a new one, and then drag the libraries and /Documents over, and then delete the old one?

I wan't to start with a fresh.:D

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Yeah, but if I choose my user account only, then it will transfer all my Library/Preferences and other crap-stuff that fills up.. I don't want that.

Actually, the only thing I want is my iTunes library, iPhoto library and ~/Documents.

Would the best thing to do ACTUALLY be to restore my old user account, make a new one, and then drag the libraries and /Documents over, and then delete the old one?

I wan't to start with a fresh.:D
Might be the easiest way.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
But I guess I have to restore my user? Because if I just browse the Time Machine in Finder, and choose the newest version, it only has the file that changed since last version. So I need to restore??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.