Use TV as Dual Screen to MBP Wireless?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jman14, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I know the Apple TV and AirPlay can allow for you to mirror your MBP screen, but what I am wondering is if you can use this same function to use the TV as a second monitor to split screens with?

If not, is there a function that will allow for me to use the TV as a second display for my MBP wirelessly?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Yes, you can extend your desktop using Apple TV over wireless. Keep in mind there will be significant lag displaying anything over the wireless connection.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

This is my experience too a wireless connection over apple TV lagged to much for me to be happy with using it for anything but the most basic stuff video watching, using itunes to listen to music etc.

However if you just want to run video files etc you can use a program called serviio (or similar) to access them from your TV over DLNA that works quite well.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

You'll get significant lag with any kind of Wireless method.

If all you do is display static images or documents on the TV, sure, why not. Anything that moves such as a video? Forget it.

5. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

This would be the main focus for me... Spreadsheets and documents in order to complete other documents. I might purchase a 27" Display, just not sure I have enough space on the desk to fit it!

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

There are swiveling VESA wall mounts available. A lot of computer screens can fit on them. No desk space used that way.