Use Two Dropbox Accounts

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hack5190, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Many of us have more than 1 dropbox account for various uses, personal, business, hacking :cool:, etc....
    No surprise that I'm not the 1st person who wants access to more than 1 at the same time. After a little research I found a website with details how to accomplish it using bash and (optionally) Automator, http://theterran.com/blog/2012/6/14/use-two-dropbox-accounts-on-one-computer.html

Because Dropbox is not officially supported on the PPC you have to use the version modified by @Czo from this thread. During my testing it's clear that Czo's version checks for any running instances of Dropbox at startup. That means if you want to run two copies you must start the second account first.

Here is a screenshot showing my G5 with 2 Dropbox accounts active at the same time!

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had three running concurrently at one point.

The only problem I have with running more than one is that ultimately it does take up drive space. If you have large accounts that could take up a significant portion of your hard drive.

I do run two at work though, but usually not together.

3. Hack5190 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Good point, by changing the HOME variable you could easily run more than 2 instances.