Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
Many of us have more than 1 dropbox account for various uses, personal, business, hacking :cool:, etc....
No surprise that I'm not the 1st person who wants access to more than 1 at the same time. After a little research I found a website with details how to accomplish it using bash and (optionally) Automator, http://theterran.com/blog/2012/6/14/use-two-dropbox-accounts-on-one-computer.html

Because Dropbox is not officially supported on the PPC you have to use the version modified by @Czo from this thread. During my testing it's clear that Czo's version checks for any running instances of Dropbox at startup. That means if you want to run two copies you must start the second account first.

Here is a screenshot showing my G5 with 2 Dropbox accounts active at the same time!

Attachments

• Two-Dropbox.jpg
    Two-Dropbox.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 324

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I had three running concurrently at one point.

The only problem I have with running more than one is that ultimately it does take up drive space. If you have large accounts that could take up a significant portion of your hard drive.

I do run two at work though, but usually not together.

Hack5190

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
(UTC-05:00) Cuba
I had three running concurrently at one point.

The only problem I have with running more than one is that ultimately it does take up drive space. If you have large accounts that could take up a significant portion of your hard drive.

I do run two at work though, but usually not together.

Good point, by changing the HOME variable you could easily run more than 2 instances.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.