Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I'm wanting to hook up a computer and use my MBP as the monitor, it's only so I can change some settings and then have it running on the network. Is this possible?

P.S. I'm currently in my home in Germany, where I have 3 laptops and 0 Desktops. So I don't have direct access to a monitor... Unless I steal one from work. Lol

rowsdower

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2009
Once it is set up you can use a remote desktop program (e.g. VNC), but there is no way to use the MBP as a monitor directly.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
Yeah, you'll need an actual keyboard, monitor, and mouse to set up the OS. Only after can you VNC in to it.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah, you'll need an actual keyboard, monitor, and mouse to set up the OS. Only after can you VNC in to it.

I remember a windows pc manufacturer that had this as a frwature some 8yrs ago, but they never lasted long.

I'm curious with the above quote if there is a way to boot the mac into wake on LAN and retrieve an osx hosted by the laptop?? Is this a viable option idea for the op's inquiry??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.