Use Verizon 4S on T-Mobile?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by DDaddyx2, Dec 17, 2012.

1. DDaddyx2 macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

Someone at my office has a Verizon iPhone 4S that we are planning to replace with a 5. They would like to give that 4S to their wife who is on T-Mobile. I read elsewhere that you can get Verizon to unlock the phone. But it's not clear if that phone would then work in the US on T-Mobile after putting in a new SIM card. What's the real story?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You cannot use a verizon 4S with any other US carrier.
    It will work with any gsm carrier outside the US but for domestic use its locked to Verizon.

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

I may be misunderstanding this, but I think you can do it.

If you use the Gevey Ultra S SIM card for CDMA phones. Now, my understanding is that the CDMA phone has to be jail broken. If it is, then the Gevey Sim is supposed to allow the device to be used on ANY worldwide GSM network.

I have never tried it personally and I may be wrong. But this is my understanding.

4. DDaddyx2 thread starter macrumors regular

DDaddyx2

Thanks! This is what I had read other places but I promised I would double-check. The employee had been told by T-Mobile that this would work but I trust the folks on this forum more than I trust someone at T-Mobile.
    Jailbreaking the iPhone is probably beyond what this person is comfortable doing.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

A Tmobile rep will tell you anything to get a sale:D
    An unlocked 4S will work fine but the verizon 4S cannot be unlocked for domestic US use. There is a sim card adapter that requires a JB and a bunch of other hoop jumps to get to work but I wouldnt suggest that.
    Just get an unlocked iphone on ebay or CL if you want to use it on Tmobile.

6. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

wow, really? And the verizon iphone 5 is unlocked out of the box for US domestic GSM.

My wife's verizon 4s will be out of contract soon and I was looking to put her on a gsm mvno

The only solution is to buy a new phone? (she is on iOS 6 regretfully and I don't want a gevey anyway)

And, unrelated question, what can a US buyer do with all these bad ESN verizon 4s' on ebay? Sounds like they are for international use only?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep.
    You can always sell the verizon 4S and buy her one unlocked for US GSM use.

8. tasset macrumors 6502a

Yes, correct. I have used a Verizon 4S with the gevey adapter on iOS5 on AT&T and Tmobile, so there is no technical reason why your wife's phone couldn't work on an mvno or gsm carrier. Except that Verizon won't unlock it for domestic competitors, only for providers outside the US for international travel. Welcome to the world of carrier lock-in, where your phone is still a brick even when the contract is completed and subsidy repaid!

9. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

ugh, thank you both.

Yet another reminder to always choose GSM.

So this must be why resale value of verizon / sprint is lower than ATT.

meh, thanks though :p

I take it that it's a given that these imei unlock websites will have no effect on the verizon 4s as well..

10. tasset macrumors 6502a

Correct on both counts. The verizon iPhone has lower value exactly because of this (when I think it would actually be higher, if the telco did the right thing by its customers) and the unlock websites will not work on your iphone either.

11. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

Thanks again tasset