Use Wi-Fi via Comcast Wireless Gateway?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by blairh, Nov 12, 2015.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hello.

Comcast has told me I must upgrade my modem to obtain faster internet speeds in my area. They are sending me a wireless gateway.

I don't know if I should use their WG for wi-fi or if I should keep my current router which is an Apple Extreme or Express, I don't remember which one right now.

What do you suggest?

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I would buy your own modem, save money on the rental, and then you ought to be able to plug your apple wireless router into it.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

The modem is included in my package.

I'm leaning towards using my router along with the Gateway which I'll put in bridge mode meaning it will only work as a modem and not a router.

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Really? They don't put a separate charge line for modem rental eh? Hmm.

Well your solution sounds fine, and it'll be minimal disruption for all of your computers (no need to enter in a new key).

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

My Time Warner bill doesn't have a line for modem rental, that and wireless are included in my package. I have my own modem and router, they won't discount the package because of that though.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Pft, rapacious.

7. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Where are you in the US? I'm in DFW and TW DOES list the modem rental, dvr box rental and 3 million other effin fee's in the bill.

8. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'm in Upstate NY. I have a "package" that includes modem and WiFi rental in the price. Of course, I signed up for that package AFTER I had my own equipment so there was no going back. They do list my cable box rental on the bill, those are not included in the price of the package.