Use Wi-Fi via Comcast Wireless Gateway?

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
Hello.

Comcast has told me I must upgrade my modem to obtain faster internet speeds in my area. They are sending me a wireless gateway.

I don't know if I should use their WG for wi-fi or if I should keep my current router which is an Apple Extreme or Express, I don't remember which one right now.

What do you suggest?

blairh

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I would buy your own modem, save money on the rental, and then you ought to be able to plug your apple wireless router into it.
The modem is included in my package.

I'm leaning towards using my router along with the Gateway which I'll put in bridge mode meaning it will only work as a modem and not a router.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
The modem is included in my package.

I'm leaning towards using my router along with the Gateway which I'll put in bridge mode meaning it will only work as a modem and not a router.
Really? They don't put a separate charge line for modem rental eh? Hmm.

Well your solution sounds fine, and it'll be minimal disruption for all of your computers (no need to enter in a new key).

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
Really? They don't put a separate charge line for modem rental eh? Hmm.

Well your solution sounds fine, and it'll be minimal disruption for all of your computers (no need to enter in a new key).
My Time Warner bill doesn't have a line for modem rental, that and wireless are included in my package. I have my own modem and router, they won't discount the package because of that though.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
My Time Warner bill doesn't have a line for modem rental, that and wireless are included in my package. I have my own modem and router, they won't discount the package because of that though.
Where are you in the US? I'm in DFW and TW DOES list the modem rental, dvr box rental and 3 million other effin fee's in the bill.

hallux

macrumors 68030
Apr 25, 2012
Where are you in the US? I'm in DFW and TW DOES list the modem rental, dvr box rental and 3 million other effin fee's in the bill.
I'm in Upstate NY. I have a "package" that includes modem and WiFi rental in the price. Of course, I signed up for that package AFTER I had my own equipment so there was no going back. They do list my cable box rental on the bill, those are not included in the price of the package.