Use WIFI and ETHERNET to double connection speed?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ayasinsk, Jun 12, 2009.

1. ayasinsk macrumors regular

I have a really crappy connection at home, about 50 ~ 60 kpbs. LOL. Cheapest AT&T DSL, $19.95. I have a wireless router hooked up right now. Is it possible to utilize my WIFI and ETHERNET all at the same time to double my connection speed? If so how? I'm running 10.5.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say "no"

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Ethernet alone is faster than your connection can ever possibly be for decades.

4. MTI macrumors 65816

You are correct!

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

Generally the TCP/IP stack can handle only one interface going to a specific range of IP. With in-house local nets, you can use 1 interface for other computers and one interface for the net, but this is not trivial to set up. This has been covered in other threads, try mroogle.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Also, your speed is your speed is your speed is your speed. Having multiple connections on the user-end is NOT going to magically double the speed for which you are paying.

Wi-Fi is around 10x as fast as your connection can be, and Ethernet is... well, it's more. I have Cat7 cables–that's 10 Gbps Ethernet–and no hardware I own can even utilize them yet.

7. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Something is REALLY wrong. You are getting dial up speeds on DSL. Someone needs to come out and look at your connection.

8. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

He is using AT&T's High Speed Internet Lite plan, so that is the maximum download speed of that plan.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Spend more money and upgrade your service cheapskate.

You are making Al Bundy look like Richie Rich, and complaining just about as much as him when your bargain service sucks.

---

The wireless is much faster than your current internet connection, so you are spending time and money on the wrong end of the connection.

Sort of like a drunk thinking he can drink faster from a slow leak in the beer keg by getting a bigger glass to drink from when the leak still doesn't fill a shot glass very fast.

10. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Even on the lite plan, he should be getting 5-10 x those speeds.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The small kbps may indeed be the big KB/s

12. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

Yes, I was assuming he means KB/s instead of kb/s, especially since that seems to be the maximum download speed of that plan.