Use WiFi and LAN at the same time

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by AnTaR3s, Oct 26, 2015.

1. AnTaR3s, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015

AnTaR3s macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Hey

I have a ridiculous problem: My Internet connection has a maximum speed of 150Mbit, however, the provider only offers routers which are capable of 100MBit LAN and slow Wifi. With none of these connections I can exceed 100MBit and I am basically stuck with a slower system than I pay for.

Of course there are router alternatives, but after a thorough investigation I have decided that none of the solutions is what I want (please don't make a discussion of that point).

Would it be possible to combine WiFi and LAN connection to distribute the load? Maybe I could even tell different apps to use different connections. Is this possible?

thanks a lot :)

2. highlystrange macrumors member

highlystrange

One computer can have an ethernet OR WiFi connection to the router, but not both.

3. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Well, I can establish both connections in the network preferences. However, when I download something, the one with top priority is chosen.

4. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I was under impression for bonding both devices must be the same and configured for same speed.

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The router from your provider might be limited to 100 Mbps internally. If the LAN side ports are 100 Mbps then you will only get 100 Mbps from the WAN side. So without new hardware any distribution of load over two links will not help.

Unless the supplied router can exceed 100 Mbps on the WAN port, one solution is to convert their router to a modem (using the settings page) and supply your own router that has gigabit LAN and AC WiFi, both which support speeds above your 150 Mbps.

6. hobowankenobi macrumors regular

7. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Unfortunately there is no real option on the market yet to replace the router. I guess I'll have to make due with my 100MBit connection for some more time. It could be worse :p

8. rhodesy22 macrumors member

Speedify makes this really simple - at a price...unsure how able they are to support the speeds you're after but they have a 4GB trial.

9. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Haha, thanks for the reply! I have solved my problem by buying a better router... ;)

10. rhodesy22 macrumors member

Nice, which did you for for?

11. AnTaR3s thread starter macrumors regular

AnTaR3s

Well I already bought it a year ago and back then the only option was the Huawei E5186...not sure if there are better ones on the market at the moment. For the WiFi I actually use an Apple Time Capsule. ;)

12. elf69 macrumors 65816

elf69

Nice router.

In first post you did not say was an LTE internet connection.

But the E5186 looks great on specs.