use windows bootcamp partition to run virtualbox?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Agent-P, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

is there any way i can have virtual box access my windows OS installed via bootcamp? I'm new to macs so a simple explanation would be appreciated.

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

Unfortunately the simple answer is no. Only the paying Parallels and Fusion can do this.

3. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

I read somewhere on VirtualBox forums that if you attempt this, Windows Account Control will think you're running an unauthorized version since it's coming from a virtual machine. So yeah, pay up for VMWare or Parallels.

4. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

i was hoping to avoid that, but if not then okay. to get it to work through parallels i need to select my windows partition during the setup, correct?

5. mpramodjain macrumors regular

I would like to install Windows xp on mac os x. Following are my quests related to this..

Do I need to have the Activation of Windows XP or just licensed one is enough to install using either of the way using BootCamp or Virtual Box from Sun.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You will need to activate XP like any other install, In the past if you had a bootcamp version of windows and configured VMware to use that instead of its own guest OS, you still could be prompted to re-activate it. As noted in the posts above if you have Virtual Box you cannot use your bootcamp partition, but rather create a VM with the application and in that case you certainly will be prompted to activate the OS

7. jcuk macrumors member

Special features such as booting from bootcamp as pay only, for good reason too, its an excellent idea!

Be aware of Windows 7 however, i've tried running my bootcamp version of Windows 7 Professional on VMware fusion and it just froze up. Not sure what the problem is :(

Cheers J

8. melman101 macrumors 68030

I'm running VMWare Fusion 3 and Bootcamped Windows 7. Working perfect for me.

9. Agent-P thread starter macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Perhaps it is because the older versions of VMware do not support all versions of windows 7