Use your 3g as a router?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleali88, Oct 27, 2008.

1. fleali88 macrumors regular

I know by jailbreaking you can tether the 3g/edge to a laptop (ive done it on mine before i went back to official apple software) but i was thinking... is it possible to set it up like normal and just connect another laptop( using the right proxy config) or more than one to the original laptop that created the network and basically have 3 or so laptops using the 3g as a modem? any one done this?

2. deriko100 macrumors 6502

3. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

No, i wasnt asking if its possible without jailbreaking, of course it would have to be jailbroken.The question is.... Is it possible to connect more than one laptop to the iphone's internet connection?

4. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Good question, I might get to test it this week on a road trip.

5. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok awesome. and post back here if it works or not, if it works i might re-jailbreak my iphone lol.

6. twist2b macrumors regular

WOW, thats pretty harsh to the phone don't you think? HAHA, routers are way bigger then the thing and they only last so long under "stress" like that. I recommend one lappy per phone. Just a thought.

7. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

well after thinking about how it works all of the stress would be on the laptop. the laptop creates the network and the iphone just connects to it and tethers the 3g, but if another laptop connects the the original laptop. its the first laptop that is technically being used as a router. the phone is just being a modem not giving out ip addresses :) so i dont think it would be too bad. haha lan party via iphone 3g lol

8. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

to the thread starter : why did you revert away from your
    original JailBreak ?
    Was it not that great ?

i am considering doing a jailbreak, and wanted to know the
    dis advantages of a jailbreak on a 3G iPhone ?

thanks,

9. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

well i jailbroke it for obvious reasons, and ipod/ish hacking isnt really new to me, ( i ran linux on my 20g 3rd gen ipod, also playing doom). so i figured i could do it, and once i got it installed i liked it for the most part, only thing i didnt like was the fact that 2.1 didnt have that many sources and apps, all the good **** is on 1.1.4, and i didnt want to hassel with trying to downgrade, so i just restored it, but i didnt really use it, i just had jailbroken and used it like normal lol, but the only think that makes me want it back is the tethering (i still have the pwn program so i can still do it if i want). and it crashed sometimes and i thought that when i restored it, it wouldnt crash anymore...wrong it crashes about the same lol.

10. twist2b macrumors regular

Ohh kk I see what your saying. Ya, your prob right.

11. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Been a while, has it? I suggest trying again. Cydia is chock full of goodies to run on 2.x. :)

12. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

haha i guess so, if thats true i may be goin to jail in the near future. lol

13. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

14. tehfrag macrumors newbie

Might be possible to do this though a WDS (Wireless Distribution System) link using a separate router. I might look into this further at a later time. Not sure if that could work or not.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I can't believe that so many people here missed NetShare. For those not on the MR forums, it is understandable, but any regular reader here should really have NetShare. It was well publicized.

16. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

I don't have netshare cause I'm in Spain. Netshare not available in the Spanish store :(

17. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It is removed from all countries. Nobody can get it.

18. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Let me give you a straight answer: You could do this.
    You can tether your iPhone to your primary laptop via WiFi (or can you USB it?) and use a second WiFi card in an ExpressCard slot to set up an ad-hoc network connection that would share to the other two laptops. Keep the phone plugged into AC at all times! :O

19. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

that would probably work but..... the scenario i had in mind was: setup laptop to connect to the iphone and tether the 3g, now laptop#1 is using 3g from the iphone (iphone connects to wifi ap made from laptop#1) now a 2nd laptop joins the wifi ap from laptop#1 and now 2 laptops are using 3g from the iphone but laptop#1 is the one giving out the ip's. Any computer with a wireless card can be used as an acces point and create its own network(not sure on the limit of ip's it can give out) . I know macs can for sure. so it just seems like it would work wiht no problems as long as every laptop that you want to connect has the right proxy put in and everything. still waiting on someone to actually give it a shot.

say your macbook is getting an internet connection through its ethernet port, you can then go to the network settings and tranfser that connection to be put out using the airport card(basically turning your macbook into a router). not sure if you can set this up in a reverse manner but i do it all the time the normal way.

20. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

don't bump posts. it's a no-no.

obviously the only way to do it is with a jailbroken phone. now, you can either jailbreak it, or read more in these forums to decide to jailbreak it now or not.

one thing is clear- apple/att are not going to allow any programs like netshare ever again. sadly.

m