Use your MAC as a TV? HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by permutated, Jan 23, 2008.

1. permutated, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012

permutated macrumors member

I had seen a few videos on this a month or so ago, but now I can't find them :(

Anyhow, I basically want to play my 360 using the monitor on my MacBook Pro. There was a USB device that has HDMI or RCA (Red-White-Yellow) in, and then there was an included program that would run full-screen versions of whatever signal was coming through (Xbox360, PS3, dvd player, etc).

Question is, is there a way to do this? If so what is it, and where can I find one?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1. Yes there is hardware to allow Composite (RCA) inputs to your MacBook Pro.

2. There's a noticeable delay of a few hundred milliseconds when gaming. It'll work for a turn based RPG but I've tried it in fighter twitch fests and it's just too long.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

better off using a tv

tv tuner cards have delays due to the computer having to process the data coming from the xbox..its designed to watch tv not play games..

and it costs roughly 100 - all to use a 15 inch screen

might as well buy a cheap tv with that $100

4. millap macrumors regular

The EyeTV250 has a special 'Game Play' mode which is supposed to reduce the latency issue. Can't comment on if it's any good or not as I don't have one. See this link for more details.

http://faq.elgato.com/index.php/faq/more/589/

5. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Game Mode
    =========
    EyeTV EZ and EyeTV 250 offer zero latency capture. They are the only EyeTV products suitable for playing video games in real time.

LINK

6. permutated thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I was looking for!

I'm just confused on what resolution it runs in.

Do you know? The site doesn't list it.

7. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

It runs it at standard s-video/composite resolution. In other words, SD TV or somewhere around 700×486.

8. millap macrumors regular

From the info on the link above...

The video quality can be up to full NTSC for EyeTV 250 Plus US (720 by 480) or full PAL for EyeTV 250 Plus INT (720 by 576), depending on your settings in the Devices Preferences.

The video image will be 4:3, and not widescreen. EyeTV can optionally stretch the 4:3 image to fill the screen, or you can trim off the letterboxing at the top and bottom, to create a 16:9 image.

9. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Actually it does:

I have the EyeTV EZ, and I've played my Xbox360 on my iMac (20") screen. Even though I can't see any "lag", and the gaming works just fine, I can't recommend it because of the low resolution (although I thought it was fine until I had seen the Xbox on a HD TV!) :D;)

Edit: millap beat me to it! :)