Used 15" or New 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flimsychicken, Feb 3, 2011.

1. flimsychicken, Feb 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011

flimsychicken macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I'm sure this question has popped up a lot. I got a decent deal on a 15" MBP on ebay but I already own a slightly newer 13" and while I like features of each, I'm not sure which will be more reliable in the longrun. I am going to be selling one of the two and I just want some more input so I make the right decision. I mainly use my laptops for minor website design, photo/video editing, music and movie streaming to my tv (no games). I guess it is difficult because I become attached to gadgets that I purchase new. My 13" macbook is like my child. The used 15" macbook I got from ebay is like someone else's child that is smarter than mine, better than mine in sports, and better looking than mine. While the other persons child looks better on paper, there still exists the sentimental value that came from raising my child from birth. Here are the options...

Macbook Pro 13" Unibody early 2010
    2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    160 GB Hard Drive
    Pros: portability, peace of mind...I purchased this new and took excellent care of it. I know if there are any existing issues.
    Cons: The main con is the small size of the screen

Macbook Pro 15" Unibody late 2008
    2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4 GB
    250 GB Hard Drive
    Pros: Large screen, got it for a good price, better specs
    Cons: It had a previous owner so there are a lot of unknowns. I wouldn't know if there were any past issues that could lead to a larger problem. For example, the built-in iSight camera doesn't work and I'm afraid that there could be other issues that I don't know about.

2. 7thMac macrumors 6502

No one can answer this for you. Keep them both for a month, use them, and you'll probably develop a preference.