Used 20" ACD or New 2209 WA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matthewr, Apr 21, 2009.

1. matthewr macrumors member

So I was all set to get a Dell 2209 WA ($369 (canadian) + tax, but I was going to contact dell and try to talk the price down a bit ), but then I found a 20 inch aluminum ACD display in local classifieds for $340 (no tax). Assuming the ACD is in good shape, which would people recommend? I'm sorely torn to go Apple, but I do like the idea of buying new.

2. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

The dell 2209 is good but i'd go for the ACD if it's in good condition. It looks like a reasonable price to me for the ACD.

3. matthewr thread starter macrumors member

I should have clarified - I plan on using it with my 12 in MacBook, mainly for surfing and photo editing (strictly hobby), and occasionally viewing digital radiographs.

4. Mintin8 macrumors 6502a

Mintin8

Still stick with the ACD. It would go well with your MB and it looks very nice. The colours are great on it.

5. matthewr thread starter macrumors member

I'm certainly leaning towards the ACD - if I go and look at it, what is the best way to test? How do you evaluate a monitor for dead pixels and other potential problems.

6. rtheb macrumors 6502

FWIW I own both.

My 20" ACD is now boxed and in storage along with a Dell 2007WFP S-IPS.

The 2209WA is on my desk and in use with my MacBook.

Things to consider:

Dell 2209WA is new, has E-IPS panel, and comes with a three year warranty. As a part of Dell's Ultrasharp line, you get a zero-bright-pixel guarantee. It is 22" and has both DVI and VGA inputs as well as USB ports.

Apple 20" ACD has an S-IPS panel, but is used with no warranty, only a DVI input, no input controls other than brightness, and although it has a firewire port it has limited USB ports. It is beautiful but smaller as well.

7. rtheb macrumors 6502

BTW you can use PiXel Check 1.2 to check for Dead Pixels with your Mac.

If you are using a PC use Dead Pixel Buddy to check for Dead Pixels.

8. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Ouch. lol.

I spent $350 on a brand new 20" ADC monitor about a year ago. Even now, I'd have considered it a no-brainer (I bought a 23" brand new ADC a few months ago for ... $675... before the 2209WA came out!) LOL needless to say I have my dream setup. :cool:

So take what I have to say with a huge grain of salt eh?

The 20" ACD has a higher pixel density and a great S-IPS screen. The aesthetics of Apples' displays are second to none, and if you have it on a table in the middle of the room or something.. fricken awesome.

However, you're comparing a brand new screen with a GOOD 3 year warranty to a used screen with no warranty, questionable usage history, and a questionable future.

If the ACD was a little cheaper, I'd think about it - but all of my computers sit on tables, and not on those "computer desks" with hutches, so I do enjoy my aesthetics and I will sacrifice in other places (like my cable bill), lol.

Yeah though, the 2209WA is a damn good monitor, I know it's ironic to say that for a screen I've never seen in person, but come on, it's an E-IPS screen for $300 and the in the pics I've seen, it is.. quite nice compared to a TN/MVA screen, just like an S-IPS screen would be.

Go for that 2209WA unless aesthetics matter *THAT MUCH* to you.