Used 21.5" iMac - is this a good price?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kflanary, Jan 20, 2013.

1. kflanary, Jan 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

kflanary macrumors newbie

I was going to purchase a 27" maxed out iMac (although I probably don't need that much power). And quite honestly I was still debating on a 21" as well so not 100% sold on 27". Mainly used for Microsoft Office work, iPhoto, Aperture, Safari, etc. Lots of windows open at once and pretty much sitting at the computer all day (use for work and pleasure). So lots of use but nothing overly intensive.

Anyways, I found a used iMac that I'm negotiating with. Here's the specs:

2011 21.5"
    Processor Speed: 2.70 GHz
    MPN: MC812LL/A
    Operating System: Mac OS X 10.7
    Memory: 4 GB
    Processor Configuration: Quad Core i5
    Hard Drive Capacity: 1 TB

Of course I would upgrade the ram to 16 gig and later maybe try to dabble in building my own SSD. But if I can get it for around $900 would that be a good deal? I see Amazon is selling them new for quite a bit more, but Apple recycling is quite a bit less. It looks like a good deal to me and then maybe upgrade to the 27 in a couple of years.

Do you all think this is a good price or should I run and just order a new one? I currently have a macbook pro 2.3 with 8 gigs of ram, but am really starting to get the beach ball. So thinking i need an upgrade.

Thanks in advance

2. kflanary thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump -- only bumping because I need to make a decision tonight as there is another party interested and I have first right of refusal. Seems to be a good deal based on all I can see around the internet that is for sale.

3. jstnlzr macrumors regular

jstnlzr

I would say no tbh, you will eat that ram up in no time, and be outta luck.

4. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Maybe if it has remaining warranty - it certainly is not a "deal".

5. kflanary thread starter macrumors newbie

It is within the 1 year warranty so I can still add Applecare. And the ram is upgradeable to 16 gigs. I see the 2.5's from that year seem to be selling pretty cheap, but the 2.7 with the better graphic card are actually more than this one.

6. BlueEagle macrumors member

BlueEagle

If you could get it for $800 that would be better. You need to consider that you will want to buy the applecare, upgrade the Ram. Also I'm assuming that you will upgrade the OS to mountain lion as well. After buying all of this you might as well buy a new 21" iMac at that point, if you were to pay $900. Like I said $800 would be a better deal to live with. In the end it is your decision. Good luck in your decision.

7. davidm5 macrumors newbie

Not that great a deal!
    I sold a similar specced one for $800.

Also depends on how much warranty is left.

8. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

I know I'm late to the party on this one, but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway since I made a recent iMac purchase that is similar to yours.

First, $800 for a 2011 iMac is not a bad deal; it's probably about average. Keep in mind that the 2010 models were selling for that much just 2 months ago, even after the new iMacs were introduced.

Anyway, I recently replaced an old 2006 17" MBP (modified with a 120GB SSD to keep it quick) with a 2010 21.5" (I got a good deal: $750 for the $1500 machine). I then took the SSD out of the old MBP and dropped it in the iMac, and put the 1TB HDD in an enclosure that is now used for Time Machine backups. Honestly, the machine flies, and this is with a SATA II SSD.

If you don't need the 27" screen, I would recommend you save a bunch of money and get the used 2011. Oh, and taking apart the iMac isn't nearly the frightful experience some have made it out to be. If you've taken other computers/gear apart before, this won't be a problem; just take your time.